Date: 6/7/18 7:23 pm
From: Glenn d'Entremont <gdentremont1...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Location Tips for Quabbin Gate 8 (ACFL, LOWA)
More directions:

After passing the power lines, look for two gated roads going north. My early July Gate 10 walk comes out the eastern road and we climb the hill west to the power lines where we turn north and head back to Gate 10. The hemlock covered stream is on the south side of the Gate 8 road and is currently rushing. I get ACFL almost routinely on my walk and many times we are there relatively late 10:30-11:30.

I don't go farther east on this road and it appears the habitat continues based on the directions below. Also, the discrete birder can probably stop in the early morning. Don't get out of sight of your car. Taking a group is problematic and you are likely to be asked to leave. The June 2 BBC group had three cars and were present about 15 minutes before a DCR EE in their personal vehicle (after shift?) stopped and suggested we move on before a more official person comes by.

LOWA is difficult to get after July 1, so I have only once had one and it was visual.

Yellow-throated Vireo is also somewhat regular here.

Glenn

P.S. I recommend my Gate 10 trip which is quite birdy. July 6 this year; 7:00 a.m.

Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA

> On June 7, 2018 at 1:48 PM "Floyd, Chris" <chrisf...> wrote:
>

> Acadian Flycatcher - ACFL
>
> Louisiana Waterthrush – LOWA
>

> Yesterday Ron Lockwood and I eventually had good luck birding Gate 8 area midday (returning from Skinner Mountain), though neither of us were familiar with the right spots to look/listen, particularly for ACFL. Below is some guidance to help others save time getting to target birds.
>

> Gate 8 is at Packardville Road, turning east off Route 202 on the west side of Quabbin. You will see a sign for the bait shop. The area we had these birds was about a half back from the end of the road at Fishing Area 1, about two miles total from Route 202, where there is parking for $6. As you approach the end over the last mile or so, you should notice that you are paralleling a stream on your right. Listen for birds of interest along that stream. It seems okay to stop and listen from your car, but parking and leaving your car might risk ticket or towing per signs we read.
>

> Also notice two speed limit signs (on left of road, facing AWAY from you), first one dark green and then one white, along the last half mile of road. We could hear both LOWA and ACFL from the road roughly between these two signs.
>

> After legally parking, walk back up the road to a spot roughly halfway between the two signs, looking for a spot of easy entry into the woods to get to the stream, now on your left. You’ll have to go up and down a moderately high embankment. Our entry spot offered easy walk to stream with little impeding understory vegetation.
>

> At the stream we got great looks at the singing ACFL but the LOWA had gone quiet when we began looking for it, about 2 PM (ACFL then quiet, too). Even after that we also heard a grouse drumming twice on the other side of the road.
>

> Chris Floyd
>
> Lexington
>
> <chrisf...>

Join us on Facebook!