Date: 6/7/18 6:09 pm
From: Shaibal Mitra <Shaibal.Mitra...>
Subject: RE: [nysbirds-l] Nickerson Beach - Possible Common Tern (longipennis) Species - Comments and thoughts welcome
Dear Mike and all,

This is an interesting bird, and well worth careful discussion. The photos are, as is so often necessarily the case, not ideal for assessing wing pattern and structure, and several other features. To my eye, the combination of adult-like plumage, darkish bill, not so dark legs, and not very deeply gray underparts is consistent with an early season variation of adult hirundo Common Tern that we do see from time to time.

The jury is certainly still out on the status of longipennis Common Terns on the east coast, and in the past I have eBirded the ones I've seen under regular "Common Tern"--but with lots of notation and documentation. Based on the checklists you've linked from Jay and Michael, provisionally specifying this form, I agree it might be best to take this approach while we work things out. At least it would be easier to collect and access the evidence.

Anyway, two of the best (and earliest in NY) candidates for longipennis were birds at Cupsogue on 26 Jun 2011 and 24 Jun 2014. I've aggregated photos of these at the following link:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskD7WtGd

As you will see, these birds were not only different in soft parts colors and plumage from same-aged hirundo COTE, but also different in terms of structure and molt (as explained in part in the note to this listserv from 27 Jun 2011, copied at the end of this note).

I've seen a few more also, including these two I was able to find quickly just now:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S37872552
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S37963638

It seems odd that the best candidates have always been second-summer (TY) birds, but there are two points worth emphasizing on this front. First, subadult terns are definitely proven to be prone to wander; second, these longipennis candidates differ very strongly in multiple ways from the range of variation I've documented in same-aged hirundo COTE over the past 20 years. The links in my copied email are long defunct, but I can direct those who are interested to long series of images of TY hirundo COTE from our area.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore