Date: 6/6/18 10:38 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Breeding range expansions .... and contractions?
Wayne,

Thanks for your thoughtful contributions to the discussion, as usual

I hadn't thought much about Canyon Wren but now that you mention it ...

I worked moderately hard to find this species in southern Wheeler Co.
last week, in canyons where normally it's not hard to find. I can
usually call this species in by a whistled imitation (some OFO/OBA field
trippers can back me up on that), but I got skunked on this trip. I
chalked it up to time of day but I've never run into that problem
before, in the same habitat.

On Wed, 2018-06-06 at 20:02 -0700, Wayne Hoffman wrote:
> Here are some declining species, not including ones listed as
> endangered or threatened.
>

> 1. Common Murre. Total colony failure for years on the north and
> central coasts, and declining production on south coast from Bald
> Eagle predation and associated egg/chick loss.
>

> 2. Upland Sandpiper. Always rare as a breeder, now apparently
> extirpated.
>

> 3. Snowy Egret. Seems much less common as a breeder in SE Oregon than
> in 1970s.
>

> 4. Sage Grouse
>

> 5. Yellow-billed Cuckoo
>

> 6. Canyon Wren??? A feeling, but without much data.
>

> 7. Hermit Warbler
>

> Wayne Hoffman
> South Beach
>

> > On 6/6/2018 5:44:26 PM, Joel Geier <joel.geier...> wrote:
> >
> > For rapid breeding range expansions into Oregon by species native
> > North America, if we measure this in terms of time to go from "rare"
> > "ubiquitous," my vote goes to Barred Owl. During the past 20 years,
> > this
> > species has gone from a "rare" bird that used to produce excited
> > reports
> > on OBOL, to regular in virtually all Oregon habitats except
> > sagebrush
> > steppe and alpine. It's now one of the more common road-kill
> > species
> > along the highway that runs past our house (6 specimens in the past
> > 3
> > years).
> >
> > But what about species going in the other direction? Which native
> > bird
> > species have gotten noticeably harder to find in that same period?
> > have my ideas but I'm interested to hear yours.
> >

> > --
> > Joel Geier
> > Camp Adair area north of Corvallis
> >

> > POST: Send your post to <obol...>