Date: 6/6/18 1:31 pm
From: Deborah Grove <dsg4...>
Subject: Broad Mountain Breeding Bird Survey Huntingdon/Mifflin counties
Cold day with temps from 46 to 55. Lots of noise from streams that probably kept some numbers down.
This is my 12th year of running this route and the lowest number of individuals ever, 387, but 46 species which is about average.

This is our only BBS out of 7 that has more Veerys (13 this year vs average of 19) than Wood Thrush (8 vs average of 14). Wood Thrush was indeed lower but perhaps the low number was the result of stream noise.
13 Warblers with a new record high for Hooded Warblers, a species that has been increasing in the north. Greg ran this route for 14 years and his average was 6 and mine has increased to an average of 19 with 26 today.

Black-throated Green were very low, 5 (average 11.5), and may reflect a problem with the areas with high stream noise.
Excessive noise can be checked at each stop and this year had 13 stops with noise out of 50 stops run which is very high.
American Redstarts are way down as well. I usually find the majority on top of Broad Mtn but not this year and in the last few years have have had several totals of 23.

Towhees and Ovenbirds were higher than average.
Field Sparrow is a new species and was in a pipeline clearing. With the logging going on there may be more in the future.

Big misses were Downy, Raven, Cedar Waxwing, and Yellow-rumped.

My cumulative species # is 69 (2007-2018) and 76 for the route from 1993-2006.

My average in is parenthesis.
Mourning Dove
1(2.5)
Eastern Whip-poor-will
1 (.83)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
2(2.2)
(Yellow-shafted Flicker) Northern Flicker
1(.9)
Pileated Woodpecker
3(2.8)
Eastern Wood-Pewee