Date: 6/5/18 4:42 am
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Varied Thrushes breeding in the Coast Range (was: Some Recent Coos/Curry Birds)
Same thing down here David. I was talking about the coastal lowlands. For
instance they do not breed at New River, Coos which is heavily forested
although with lots of shore pine but big spruce on the ridges. You don’t
pick them up breeding regularly until you get inland. Also most Mamu
habitat is a bit older forest which fits well with preferred varied thrush
habitat. I am up predawn every day for years and this is first year I have
heard varied thrush in Mingus Park in June...

Tim

Tim

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 10:59 PM David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon...>
wrote:

> Varied Thrushes are common breeders throughout the Northern Oregon Coast
> Range. I conducted predawn through dawn surveys for Marbled Murrelets in
> the North Oregon Coast Range between 01 May and 01Aug for six seasons.
> These surveys were all within approximately 20 miles of the coast between
> Newport and Astoria. I do not recall a single survey station where Varied
> Thrush was not a species I detected on more than one station visit. We
> surveyed each station usually seven times a season. The protocol was that
> the survey began 45 minutes prior to sunrise. There is a predictable order
> to the first calls of expected species. Varied Thrush is one of the first
> predawn callers, but they cease to call at sunrise or before. They are very
> stealthy. I did encounter a single active nest with chicks about seven
> miles up the Necanicum River one season, though had I not flushed the
> parent off the nest I would not have known the birds were there.
>
> David
>
> David C. Bailey
> Seaside, Oregon
>
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, 1:34 PM Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...> wrote:
>
>> On 26 May Barb Taylor saw a White-throated Sparrow at her sister’s nice
>> feeder set up in Coos Bay. This is the latest spring record for Coos I know
>> of by over a week.
>>
>> Memorial Day weekend Madeleine Vander Heyden was at the mouth of Elk
>> River in Curry and saw a pair of Peregrine Falcons on a nearby cliff.
>> Probably nesting in the vicinity. Right about that time a Bald Eagle flew
>> by and headed upriver. The two Peregrines immediately took off and began
>> harassing the eagle. This went on for a few moments before the eagle
>> pivoted and snatched one of the Peregrines out of the sky! It flew off with
>> it and landed in a tree where it began dining on it. Wow- must have been
>> amazing to see!
>>
>> We recently had a thread on Varied Thrushes and where they nest. I
>> normally have singing birds across the street from my place at Mingus
>> Park, Coos Bay until about mid-May then they apparently leave. This year
>> there is one or two birds still singing up through 2 June so I think they
>> are at least attempting to breed. So yes I think a few birds may
>> occasionally breed coastally in Coos County where the habitat is right-
>> older forest with multistoried understory which is how I think Wayne
>> Hoffmann described it.
>>
>> Happy birding!
>> Tim Rodenkirk

Join us on Facebook!