Date: 6/4/18 7:05 pm
From: Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33...>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [sbcobirding] Black-throated Sparrow on West Camino Cielo
Wim and Joan point to Fires, Nick suggests birder coverage.
Based on my regular surveys of the Camino Cielos and the Breeding Bird
Survey route I formerly did from Paradise Road to Bluff Camp, Black-chinned
Sparrows are just episodic. Some years they are here, some not. I wouldn't
look to local fire or drought as a driving force but more as a contributing
influence to their local habitat preferences. A species presence in a
region may be driven by forces working across the range of the species,
more than by local factors.
However, Bell's Sparrows do look to fire, at least on Vandenberg AFB. They
prefer Burton Mesa Chaparral in the period 3-7 years recovering from fire.
Why? Fire may provide the open habitat structure they need: the perches
for displays, sufficient open ground for fire-following plants to thrive,
and greater habitat opportunities for insects the sparrows feed on.
I do think the drought will continue to give us surprise appearances this
summer--failed or abandoned breeders, birds that have given up where they
should be and so they wander.
Mark

Join us on Facebook!