Date: 6/4/18 4:37 am
From: Sheridan Brown (NH) <birds...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] ants at hummingbird feeders - solved???
I prefer a thin coat of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the bottom 10 inches of the hummingbird feeder poles. Holds up all summer, ants turn around when they encounter it (they live), and very few ants ever reach the feeders.

Sounds like you already have enough work making fresh nectar for 10 feeders! This solution is low maintenance.

Sheridan Brown
Grantham, NH

> On Jun 4, 2018, at 6:55 AM, Maeve Kim <maevulus...> wrote:
>
> The big ant traps work, but the small ones built into some “flying saucer” feeders aren’t always effective. We’ve got ten hummingbird feeders, on several poles, and I wanted a method to protect them all.
> The olive oil is an interesting idea. I’d never heard that!
> Maeve
>

>> On Jun 4, 2018, at 6:52 AM, Roy Pilcher <00000022ffe6db53-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>>
>> A simple ant trap would do the job! A small plastic cup, ~2 inches in diameter and a paper clip is all that is required. Pin hole through center of cup . Thread paper clip then bend for double hook, one above one below.
>> Olive oil or some such in the cup.
>>
>> Cheers, Roy Pilcher

Join us on Facebook!