Date: 6/3/18 8:47 pm
From: Eric S <ericbs1975...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Waterdog lake 6/3
Today my son and I decide to revisit Waterdog Lake since it has been a
few weeks since we were there last. We ended up being there from about
12-4, not necessarily an ideal time. We were initially treated by OAK
TITMOUSE and a singing BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK (heard only). It was quite
birdy given the was the hottest part of one of the busy days of the week.
Some of the highlights include the following:
2 CALIFORNIA THRASHERS
8 ORANGE CROWNED WARBLERS (conservative estimate. 4 seen, at least that
many heard)
2 PACIFIC SLOPE FLYCATCHER
4 HUTTONS VIREO
1 WILSONS WARBLER
5 WRENTITS in a bush adjacent to trail giving great looks. Many more
calling from the hillsides.
1 CASPIAN TERN - flew over the lake and continued through the valley
towards crystal springs.
There were a few calls I couldn’t place, so there may still yet be more
there to discover. Unfortunately 2-3 of the large oaks the great horned
owls had been using were cut down and we haven’t been able to relocate them
since. In addition to the birds we found a blue tailed skink, a fair
variety of butterflies, and a giant turtle floating along in the middle of
the lake.

Happy birding,
Eric Storms
San Carlos