Date: 6/3/18 1:11 pm
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Eastern Or Say's Phoebe
Hello all,

I've attached two crudely photoshopped images with my post. The first has
James's Phoebe juxtaposed with two Eastern Phoebes taken in June/July. The
second has his Phoebe juxtaposed with two Say's Phoebes taken between the
same date range. All images were found on Cornell's Macaulay Library via
eBird.

For my money, I feel this is a rather worn Say's Phoebe. The lack of
contrast between the upperparts/underparts, especially the head, lack of
gray on the breast (vest pattern), and overall impression this bird gives
are my main reasons. When I originally looked at this individual as an
Eastern Phoebe, something just looked a tad off. There are additional
points of scrutiny, as others have mentioned, but I'm feeling a bit lazy at
the moment and will just leave it with those three for now.

In doing research on molt timing, I found that Say's Phoebes have a
relatively short molt cycle as opposed to Eastern Phoebes, with peak
activity of body/primary molt occurring between the beginning of August and
ending the beginning of September. Eastern Phoebes peak activity begins in
the middle of June for both body/primaries and goes until the end of
October (and even into early November for the primaries).

With all that being said, did you hear it vocalize at all? Pardon me if you
mentioned this detail already.

Very interesting bird and great find. Thanks for sharing and what a good
study.

-Nick Mrvelj (Portland)

Join us on Facebook!