Date: 6/2/18 8:49 pm
From: Pamela Johnston <shovzan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Oregon Breeding Bird atlas still available ... future?
I'd like to concur with Joel's conclusion that doing field work on the
Atlas was fun! I only wish that I had started doing it sooner.

Birding in and of itself is enjoyable and interesting, or we wouldn't
be writing about it and reading about what someone else saw today. But
going out to bird with a purpose makes it that much more interesting,
and that much more enjoyable, because you are learning and sharing
your findings for a larger purpose than the pleasure of hearing bird
song and finding some elusive darter before it disappears into the
bushes.

Pamela Johnston

On 6/2/18, Joel Geier <joel.geier...> wrote:
> Thanks Paul, for making this sampling of the Oregon Breeding Bird Atlas
> (OBBA) data available on-line!
>
> I hope that this helps to raise interest in an update of the Atlas. This
> was a very worthwhile project that really engaged the Oregon birding
> community, and produced results of lasting significance. Along with
> other proud owners of the OBBA CD and the "Birds of Oregon: A General
> Reference" volume, I'd like to thank you, Paul, and Kit Larsen too, for
> the countless hours and expertise that you poured into this project.
>
> I agree that this is a great time to start discussion of an update of
> the Atlas. The past 19 years have brought many perceptible shifts in
> breeding bird distribution, whether due to global climate change or
> other factors.
>
> As you note, the Oregon 2020 project has different aims and methods. It
> aims to quantify bird abundance across the state, which is different
> from documenting breeding status.The main method (stationary point
> counts) is generally suitable for that purpose, but it doesn't really
> get at the many intriguing questions that were raised by the 1995-1999
> atlas project.
>
> Do Fox Sparrows really nest in the Ochoco Mountains or are they mainly
> just migrants/transients? Are any Upland Sandpipers still nesting in the
> state? Do Black-throated Sparrows still nest in the Painted Hills? Do
> Virginia's Warblers still nest in the Trout Creek Mountains?
>
> I appreciate your initiative to get the discussion rolling ... and I
> also appreciate that you're not anxious to be the lead investigator on
> the next round! The first round must have taken a few years off your
> life, and I hope that Oregon birders everywhere are appreciative as I
> am.
>
> I'll look forward to hearing from other birders who are interested in
> this idea. The original OBBA was a very enjoyable and engaging
> experience for me as a volunteer. I'd be very willing to play a
> supporting role in an update.
>
> Happy bird observing,
> Joel
>

> --