Date: 6/2/18 3:41 pm
From: Paul Peterson <petersonpaul63...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Winter Wren Bedford and Hanscom A.F.B. Highlights
Hi,
Yesterday, I came upon a singing Winter Wren along the orange loop in the Hartwell Town Forest. The entrance is on Hartwell St. The location of the song was where there are tall ferns on both sides of the trail.

HARTWELL TOWN FOREST:

Eastern Wood-Pewee 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Winter Wren 1
Wood Thrush 3
Pine Warbler 3
Ovenbird 4
Swamp Sparrow 2

HANSCOMB A.F.B. HIGHLIGHTS:

I walked around the edge of the fence for about .3 miles. This is in the area of the George Jordan Conservation Area and also  Hartwell Rd. Some guy in a very noisy helicopter kept on returning to the area where I was birding. Was he trying to drive me away? I can say it was frustrating. I did, however, get a singing EASTERN MEADOWLARK atop a six foot tall orange wind sock. He remained there for a long time.

Osprey 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Killdeer 2
American Woodcock 1
Willow Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 1
Red-eyed Vireo 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2    flying over the brook/wetlands near fence
Yellow Warbler 1+
Common Yellowthroat 2
Blue-winged Warbler 2
Eastern Towhee 4
Field Sparrow 4
Savannah Sparrow 5
Orchard Oriole 1
EASTERN MEADOWLARK 1
Bobolink 6

OTHER LIVING THINGS:

Common Ringlet 40
Pearl Crescent 7
Spring Azure 1       (or possibly an Eastern Tailed Blue)
Clouded Sulphur 2
Viceroy 2
Ebony Jewel-wing 1    (FOY) Town Forest
Gray Tree Frog 2        (FOY) Town Forest

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Join us on Facebook!