Date: 6/2/18 12:52 pm
From: Constance Sidles <constancesidles...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Gray Catbird record
Hey tweets, the Gray Catbird that Alex Sowers, Nancy Jones, and I found this morning at Montlake Fill is the first one ever seen there, according to my records. Such a thrill to see and hear this bird. When it first appeared, it flew to the top of one of the little scraggly trees on the south side of the Wedding Rock, where it sang and sang, never seeming to repeat itself. When its concert was done, it exited stage down, into the dense brush that surrounds these little trees. Show over, we exited stage left, heading for the snag that has been hosting the House Wrens' nest. No sooner had we settled into the front-row seating (well, I got to sit, since I had my camp stool) then who should appear but the catbird again, who commenced a duet with the wren.

Once many years ago, I attended a piano concert in the neighborhood. It was a fund-raiser for Friends of Yesler Swamp, to help pay for the boardwalk. Like today, the sun was warm, so the hostess opened some windows to let the breeze blow through. A Bewick's Wren heard our pianist playing a Beethoven piece and began to sing accompaniment. I have never heard a more beautiful duet until the one I heard today.

I hope you will all have a chance to hear this bird, and if not this one, then another when nature graces you as we were graced today. - Connie, Seattle

<csidles...>
<constancesidles...>
Tweeters mailing list
<Tweeters...>