Date: 6/1/18 8:32 am
From: Joseph Budrow via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] GH Owl Bethany -- Calling "Late" Morning
Dawg trumps birds. Life fact.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 9:56 AM, Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz via CTBirds<ctbirds...> wrote: I have 34 years of birding experience.   Well, actually, I only have about one year of experience, 34 times over.  There's so much to learn!  (For example, last month's posts about inland shorebirds, were fascinating.  I just never got out there, never knew.)
Today, at 0800 in fog but broad daylight, while dipping my toes into CT Bird Atlas work, I encountered a calling Great Horned Owl (GHOW, B Virginianus, Big Hoot Owl, Cat Owl, Virginia Owl, Ol' Bubo, Le Grand Duc Americain, etc.).   I've encountered plenty calling at dawn on CBCs, and have heard Barred Owls at all times of day.  I guess dawn and dusk calling is not rare, but have others experienced this with Great Horned Owls?  Do they call during the day?

A couple other observations:  Woods roads and trails are impassable in this neck of the woods, thanks to tornado activity.  Pine Warblers, once locally common around here, may now be tough to find.  All the White Pine groves are sheared off at the trunk level.  All the best woodlots look like the artillery barrage aftermath at Belleau Wood or Saipan.  And finally, trying to listen for birds while the ol' dog is panting (HUH-HUH-HUH-HUH!) is a mild aggravation.  Dog stays home next time.

Steve MayoBethany