Date: 5/30/18 5:45 pm
From: David Provencher via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] eBird
I've been birding for almost 30 years. I certainly understand the idea of
old style birding, pre-electronic era. Paper maps and word of mouth were
how we got there, and we often ended up struggling to find the place.
Nowadays, using gps to find a location is pretty much the norm for most
people and younger birders will always be using a screen to find a location
(and thank goodness there are young birders!) I have been through Portland
more times than I could count but had never been to the fairgrounds. I used
google maps and verbally entered "Portland Fairgrounds" and found the
location quite easily. The reality now is that nearly everyone who finds a
"good" bird will first report it using their phone. I do. The cell phone
has been a boon to birders in getting the word so quickly. I am just
thankful a birder who found a good bird got the word out at all. Often
didn't happen in the past. If you want explicit directions to a particular
bird, by all means ask. Most birders will oblige. But the reality is most
birders are not going to automatically post explicit driving directions to
locations that are generally known or easily locate-able by satnav or apps.
So if choose to not use gps, which you are free to do of course, you will
likely end up missing some birds over time.

Dave Provencher