Date: 5/30/18 2:07 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island - 05-30-2018
David Moon and I led today's edition of Wednesday Morning Birding out of

Joppa Flats Education Center on to Plum Island.  Skies were clear to
partly cloudy; temps in middle to upper 60s;and winds NE-E/5-10 mph.  We
made our way directly to Sandy Point and were rewarded with ample
parking spaces -- read that school still in session and cool temps.

Our list:

Canada Goose (11) - including pr. w/ 6 good-sized goslings; Bill Forward
Pool.
Mute Swan (1) - ad, southern-most panne,.
Gadwall (3) -lone drake, pannes; pr. BFP.
Mallard - many including molting drakes, Stage Island Pool.
Red-breasted Merganser (1) - hen, SIP.
Wild Turkey (1) - tom, South Field.
Double-crested Cormorant - common.
Great Egret (~ 5)
Snowy Egret (~ 7)
Osprey (1) - overhead, BFP.
Black-bellied Plover (~ 25) - 2, Sandy Point; balance, South Marsh.
Semipalmated Plover (5) - 3, SP; 2, BFP.
Piping Plover (~ 9) - SP.
Killdeer (2) - 1, pannes; 1, SP.
Spotted Sandpiper (1) - BFP.
Willet - common.
Ruddy Turnstone (3) - w/ Black-bellies; South Marsh.
Semipalmated Sandpiper (~ 200) - BFP.
Herring Gull
Least Tern (5) - 1, main panne; 3, SP; 1, BFP.
Common Tern (1)- SP.
Mourning Dove
Empidonax sp. (2) - together in small trees and shrubs se. corner North
Pool, Hellcat dike; probable Willow Flys.
Great Crested Flycatcher (1) - heard, n. end S-curves.
Eastern Kingbird (3) - various.
American Crow (2)
Purple Martin (~ 7) - lot #1.
Tree Swallow - common.
Bank Swallow (1) - SP.
Barn Swallow (3)
Marsh Wren - common; North Pool.
American Robin (2)
Gray Catbird - common.
Northern Mockingbird (3) - 1, SP; 1, Hellcat; 1, lot #1.
Brown Thrasher (1) - roadside, s. end S-curves.
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing (2) - Hellcat.
Black-and-white Warbler (1) - heard; Goodno crossing.
Common Yellowthroat - common.
American Redstart (3)
Yellow Warbler - common.
Eastern Towhee - common.
Song Sparrow - common.
Northern Cardinal (1)
Bobolink (6) - 1, North Field; 5, vicinity of BFP dike.
Red-winged Blackbird - common.
Common Grackle - common.
Brown-headed Cowbird (4)
Baltimore Oriole (2) - 1, Hellcat; 1, Goodno crossing.
Purple Finch (2)
American Goldfinch (2) - SP.

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday
Morning Birding. For more information about Joppa Flats programs, call
David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Please note that Wednesday Evening Birding is being conducted during the
month of May. Meet at Joppa Flats Education Center at 5:30 for the
2-hour program.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>