Date: 5/27/18 1:44 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Ankeny NWR Field Trip Report and Cascades Gateway Park Report
*SAS ANKENY NWR FIELD TRIP SUMMARY*

For today's Salem Audubon birding field trip at Ankeny NWR, Barbara, Fred
and I were joined by 8 other birders. The weather was very nice with
mostly sunny skies and temperatures between 50 and 66 degrees. There was
very little if any wind for the entire field trip. We made four stops
around the refuge with the Eagle Marsh area being the most productive. Pintail
Marsh was very slow with very few birds. We identified (saw or heard) 60
species. *NOTE:* A brief summary our recent Cascades Gateway Park shorts
bird walk will follow this report.

*Most notable sightings:*

· The sighting of the day was an *American Bittern *along the western
edge of Eagle Marsh. The bittern was feeding along the edge of the marsh
and seemed to continue feeding just ahead of us. We viewed the bittern for
5 – 10 minutes which was the best view of an American Bittern that many of
our group has ever seen;

· We heard a *Sora* and two *Virginia Rails* at Eagle Marsh;

· We saw six species of ducks but the numbers were real low. The
best duck sightings were seen at Pintail Marsh where we saw one *Ruddy Duck*
and one male *Wood Duck*. At Eagle Marsh we did see one *Blue-winged Teal*
and a pair of *Gadwall*;

· A *Green Heron* flew by at Eagle Marsh and landed in the eastern part
of the marsh. Some in the group also saw a *Spotted Sandpiper* at Eagle
Marsh;

· There were four species of warblers including a *Yellow-breasted
Chat* that we heard at Eagle Marsh.

A complete list of today's birds follows. Our next SAS bird walk will be
on *Sunday, June 10th* at Minto-Brown Island Park. Meet at 7:00 AM at
Parking Lot # 3. The next SAS-Shorts bird walk will be at *Keizer Rapids
Park* on *Tuesday, June 26th at 9:00 a.m.* Meet in the back parking lot
near the boat ramp. Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, Oregon

*Ankeny NWR Checklist Summary for May 27, 2018*

*Number of Species: 60*

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Ankeny NWR--Ankeny Hill Overlook @ 6:56 AM
(2): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh @ 7:25 AM

(3): Private residence @ 10:26 AM
(4): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 11:00 AM

31 Canada Goose -- (1),(2)
3 Wood Duck -- (2),(4)
1 Blue-winged Teal -- (2)
3 Cinnamon Teal -- (2)
2 Gadwall -- (2)
4 Mallard -- (2)
1 Ruddy Duck -- (4)
2 duck sp. -- (2)
11 Pied-billed Grebe -- (2),(4)
4 American Bittern -- (2)
2 Great Blue Heron -- (2)
1 Green Heron -- (2)
7 Turkey Vulture -- (2),(3)
1 Cooper's Hawk -- (3)
2 Accipiter sp. -- (2)
4 Red-tailed Hawk -- (2),(3)
2 Virginia Rail -- (2),(4)
1 Sora -- (2)
2 American Coot -- (4)
1 Killdeer -- (2)
1 Spotted Sandpiper -- (2)
2 Eurasian Collared-Dove -- (1),(3)
1 Mourning Dove -- (3)
2 Vaux's Swift -- (3)
1 Rufous Hummingbird -- (2)
1 Belted Kingfisher -- (2)
2 Acorn Woodpecker -- (3)
2 Northern Flicker -- (1),(3)
1 American Kestrel -- (1)
2 Western Wood-Pewee -- (2)
2 Black Phoebe -- (2)
2 Warbling Vireo -- (2)
1 California Scrub-Jay -- (2)
1 American Crow -- (2)
3 Tree Swallow -- (2),(3)
2 Violet-green Swallow -- (2)
21 Barn Swallow -- (1),(3)
6 Cliff Swallow -- (2)
3 Black-capped Chickadee -- (2),(3)
2 Bushtit -- (2)
12 Marsh Wren -- (2)
4 Bewick's Wren -- (1),(2)
10 Swainson's Thrush -- (2)
2 American Robin -- (2)
10 European Starling -- (1),(3)
6 Cedar Waxwing -- (2),(3)
7 Common Yellowthroat -- (2)
12 Yellow Warbler -- (2)
1 Wilson's Warbler -- (2)
2 White-crowned Sparrow -- (3)
12 Song Sparrow -- (1),(2)
9 Spotted Towhee -- (1),(2),(3)
1 Yellow-breasted Chat -- (2)
5 Black-headed Grosbeak -- (2)
2 Western Meadowlark -- (1)
1 Bullock's Oriole -- (3)
22 Red-winged Blackbird -- (1),(2),(4)
4 Brown-headed Cowbird -- (2)
6 Brewer's Blackbird -- (1),(3)
3 House Finch -- (3)
3 American Goldfinch -- (2)
2 House Sparrow -- (3)

*SAS SHORTS: CASCADES GATEWAY PARK BIRD WALK SUMMARY*

*May 25, 2018*

Hello Birders:

On Friday morning, five birders met up at Cascades Gateway Park for our SAS
Shorts bird walk. The temperatures ranged from 59 to 62 degrees during the
walk. They walked around Walter Wirth Lake which was about a one mile
walk. They identified (saw or heard) 34 species.

The best sighting was two Ospreys that we’re having a lot of success
snatching fish from the lake. There were also a lot of baby ducklings and
goslings. We saw four species of swallows. A complete list of today's
birds follows. Our next SAS bird walk will be on *Sunday, June 10th*
at *Minto-Brown
Island Park*. Meet at *7:00 AM* at Parking Lot # 3. The next SAS-Shorts
bird walk will be at *Keizer Rapids Park* on *Tuesday, June 26th at 9:00
a.m.* Meet in the back parking lot near the boat ramp. Please join us if
you can.

*Note:* Check out our SAS Facebook page (put salemaudubonsociety in search
box) to see some of Earl Christison’s photos. Also thanks to Earl for this
report.

Canada Goose

American Robin

Brewer’s Blackbird

Mallard

Red-winged Blackbird

Cedar Waxwing

Violet-green Swallow

Barn Swallow

Tree Swallow

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Bushtit

Brown-headed Cowbird

Northern Flicker

Killdeer

European Starling

Anna’s Hummingbird

Osprey

Downey Woodpecker

Western Wood-Pewee

Black-capped Chickadee

Song Sparrow

Mourning Dove

Red-breasted Nuthatch

California Scrub-Jay

Spotted Towhee

House Sparrow

Black-headed Grosbeak

Western Tanager (seen by one birder)​​​​

Yellow Warbler

Bullock’s Oriole

Red-breasted Sapsucker

American Crow