Date: 5/27/18 6:31 am
From: <dave.williams6...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Reading Town Forest - Mourning warbler
The highlight of the walk in the Reading Town Forest was a male Mourning warbler. While we were watching two Wood thrushes ahead of us on the dirt road, a Mourning warbler sang just to our right. It popped up onto a bush and stayed there for a good 10 seconds providing us with stunning looks at this bird. It then dropped down into the understory and we observed it off and on moving about on both side of the road for almost 10 minutes. It never sang again, but did give its " pwich" call several times. We returned to the same spot at the end of the walk, and sure enough, saw the bird again.
A full eBird list of the walk can be found here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46061690

Dave Williams
Reading, MA
BirdReadingMA project

If you want to try for the Mourning warbler, here are the directions. Park on Grove St., Reading, at the entrance to Strout Ave. No vehicles are allowed on Strout Ave. Walk to the end of Strout Ave. and pass through the gate. Walk all the way across the big, grass field and onto the dirt road. Follow this road for 50 yards and two roads will come in from the right to join this road you are on. Start looking/listening for the Mourning warbler where the second of these two roads merges with the main road you are on. It was seen on both sides of the road.

Sent from my iPad

Join us on Facebook!