Date: 5/24/18 10:28 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (24 May 2018) Raptors
Del. Nature Society's Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Avondale, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: May 24, 2018

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 0 0
Osprey 0 0 0
Bald Eagle 0 0 0
Northern Harrier 0 0 0
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 0 0
Cooper's Hawk 0 0 0
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 0 0
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 0 0 0
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 0 0
Merlin 0 0 0
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Mississippi Kite 0 2 2
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 0 2 2

Observation start time: 14:00:00
Observation end time: 19:30:00
Total observation time: 5.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY KITE & SHOREBIRD WATCH AT
BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Jean-Marie Gauthier, Hank Davis, Joel Flachs, Deb Beer.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Kite &
Shorebird Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Sunny (0% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps
81 - 71F, Winds Light & Variable.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-tailed Hawk, and
numerous Black (6) and Turkey Vultures (25).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ May 24: Today began with … with me having all my teeth.
Ah, but would it end that way?? It was another slow day with only 57
species highlighted by: Wood Duck, Green Heron, 1 Common Nighthawk,
Yellow-breasted Chat, and Blue Grosbeak. We’ve had 2 “bad days” in a row.
Well, at least with nothing spectacular. What does that mean? Come on,
silly - it means we are due for another great day – and soon! I’m thinking
tomorrow, to kick off the Memorial Day Weekend! The winds will be from the
southwest and there will be at least a few clouds. I’ll take that! [Oh,
and still have all my teeth!]
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws,
for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: Shorebirds: 1-Killdeer.
<BR><BR>
1-Wood Duck, 1-Green Heron, 1-COMMON NIGHTHAWK, 2-Willow Flycatcher,
1-Yellow-breasted Chat, 1-Blue Grosbeak.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (2): Eastern Tiger Swallowtail,
Clouded Sulphur. Dragonflies (2): Green Darner, Twelve-spotted Skimmer.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (1): White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.71; Steps: 11,060; Floors:
21.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a Kite &
Shorebird watch, but conduct a migration tally from the site. We include
it here, from time to time (about once a week), to let you know what else
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – searching for
Kites and migrating shorebirds, must remain our primary focus) for totals
of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 57; this season: 82
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks nice with a few clouds and warm southwest winds.
The Kites – best day, yet!
As for the shorebirds… could be due for another good one!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru June 6, 3pm thru 8:30pm.
Rain or shine.
The Kite & Shorebird Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by
Delaware Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=788

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: