Date: 5/24/18 5:07 am
From: Ted Nichols II <tanicholsii...>
Subject: Winter 2017/2018 Photo Submissions for Pennsylvania Birds
**CALL FOR WINTER 2017/2018 (Dec. 1, 2017 - Feb. 28, 2018) PA BIRDS PHOTO
SUBMISSIONS**

Do you have some great photos of any birds taken in Pennsylvania from Dec.
1, 2017 - Feb. 28, 2018? Or a picture of a notable/significant sighting
from that period?

I am currently accepting photo submissions through end of day June 3, 2018,
to be considered for publication as space permits in the Pennsylvania
Society for Ornithology (PSO) Winter 2017/2018 issue of Pennsylvania Birds.

**DUE TO TIME LIMITATIONS SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS BELOW MUST BE FOLLOWED,
SUBMISSIONS MADE NOT FOLLOWING BELOW INSTRUCTIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED**

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:

- IMAGE SIZE: Images submitted must be high-res and are preferred to be
horizontal shots. Submitted horizontal images MUST be able to be cropped to
1050px x 700px with a resolution of 300 px/in for horizontal images. If
space allows high-quality vertical portrait shots may be used, but they
take up the space of 2 photos in the layout used by the journal. Vertical
photos submitted must be able to be cropped to 1050px x 1313px at 300 px/in.

- DATES/SUBMISSION E-MAIL: Submissions for consideration **must** be taken
during the above date range for the issue being worked on and emailed to
<pabirdsphotos...>, please make mention of the word WINTER in the
subject line to simplify processing.

- QUANTITY OF IMAGES SUBMITTED: Please do not submit me dozens of images
for consideration, please do some initial limiting/judging of selections on
your end that reflect the best of your work. However, if you have 15
different images of truly notable sightings in the state from this period,
I'll gladly accept them for consideration!

- CAPTION INFORMATION MUST BE PROVIDED: VERY important!!! For each image
attached to the e-mail, you must include a description in the body of the
e-mail for that image. Best format to follow: Species Name - Location,
County, DD Month. Sentence about significance if known/applicable.
(Photographer Name) Example: Antillean Nighthawk - Presque Isle SP, Erie,
12 June. This bird represented a first state record and was observed
through 1 July. (John Doe)

- IMAGE QUALITY: PLEASE submit your photos for consideration in full
resolution or as close to full resolution as possible as these will be
printed. Your photo also may be considered for a cover shot and a 250KB
image just won't work for that! I need to be able to crop your photo to fit
the space as it permits in the journal and a precropped / low-resolution
image is problematic for that. It's safe to say that if you're sending me
an image under a megabyte in size, it isn't going to be the resolution I
need to work with. I also need room to crop the image to the specs used for
the newsletter (exact specs posted above) and an extremely tight crop may
not allow me to do that.

- WATERMARKS/CREDITS: Photos selected for printing in the issue will be
credited to the photographer, please DO NOT submit watermarked/signatured
images as they will not be considered. The image must be clean of any
add-on text or watermarks.

Thanks for considering submitting your photos for consideration for our
statewide ornithology journal!

Regards,
Ted Nichols II
Photo Editor, Pennsylvania Birds