Date: 5/23/18 9:32 pm
From: Heidi Ware <heidithebirdnerd...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [IBLE] Intriguing Hummer--Costa's Likely
Another update.
Jeanene got a video of a Black-chinned, and described it this way: "Here is a video, but this is not the same bird, her body is longer. I believe this to be a female Black Chinned. Also her movement is sloppy compared to the other female I saw. Ill keep looking for the other. Sorry for the poor lighting."
That description of the flight seems to further support Costa's
Jessica Pollock, IBO's hummingbird project lead, is going to try to head over tomorrow to see the bird in person. Jeanene has said she is okay with birders accessing the area

for those still interested in following along on FB, there are two threads going:
Idaho Birding

| | |

| |
Jeanene Parker

Hummingbird Aubrey Spring Ranch Picabo ID. Need a little help with identification. Is this a Calliope? Its very ...

andIdaho Bird Sightings and Discussion

| | |

| |
Heidi Ware

No time to study more in-depth myself, but wondering what others think. Any time I hear someone say "It looks li...

On Wednesday, May 23, 2018, 6:34:36 PM MDT, Cliff and Lisa Weisse <CliffandLisa...> wrote:

Looking better all the time...

Cliff

On 05/23/2018 06:13 PM, Heidi Ware wrote:

UPDATE: Costa's Likely
From Carl Lundblad (comment on Idaho Bird Sightings and Discussion) "From Sheri Williamson, hummingbird expert, bander, and author of A Field Guide to Hummingbirds of North America: "Costa's is what I'd call her. The pale eyebrow is a characteristic shared with Anna's but not with either of the Archilochus, and the apparently "generic" inner primary shapes further eliminate Ruby-throated". I also sent this to another hummingbird expert/bander in the Las Vegas area (where people are constantly mistaking Costa's and Anna's for Archilochus)."

Cliff, to your comments about Anna's: The thing that gets me is the birder who found it doesn't have experience w/ costas (she had originally noticed the small size and had been considering Calliope or even Rufous), but she has been able to now consistently photograph this bird among a mix of Black-chinned (she added more photos today)...that tells me it must be extremely small to stand out so much?
To view the thread (no need to log in to facebook) click here:

| |
Idaho Bird Sightings and Discussion

Welcome! **Please read this and the pinned post before posting** Click the "see more" link below: Birders at al...

On Wednesday, May 23, 2018, 5:31:31 PM MDT, Cliff and Lisa Weisse <CliffandLisa...> wrote:

Interesting bird. Solidly green central rects further eliminate Calliope. Inner primaries look wide so it's not an Archilochus, which leaves Calypte. As for Anna's vs Costa's - tough call. The straight bill actually favors Anna's but the really short R5 on the photo of the bird hovering more vertically is a good mark for Costa's. Clean white undertail coverts too? Someone should try to get video, hoping to record call note. And more photos.

Thanks for getting this posted Heidi.

Cliff

On 05/23/2018 02:13 PM, Heidi Ware <heidithebirdnerd...> [ible] wrote:

  Hi all,
Jeremy Halka and I are sitting in the IBO offices obsessing about this hummer photo on Facebook. Based on description of "very tiny" and field marks including straight short bill, light supercilium, and lack of buffy color (eliminating Calliope from consideration) we are wondering if there's any chance this is a vagrant female Costa's?
NOTHING is confirmed yet, but figured I'd get the sighting out there just in case
Near Aubrey Springs Ranch, Picabo. Sighting by Jeanene Parker https://www..facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2411952555497242&set=gm.1892519680792643&type=3&theater&ifg=1

We've asked Jeanene for more photos/info
~Heidi

--
Cliff and Lisa Weisse
Island Park, Idaho