Date: 5/21/18 1:53 pm
From: David Facey <dcf2005...>
Subject: Re: Orioles and Milkweed
This seems like a good link to find native milkweed: https://monarchbutterflygarden.net/milkweed-plant-seed-resources/

From: State College (PA) Bird Club [mailto:<SCBIRDCL...>] On Behalf Of PAUL SCHWIDERSKE
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2018 3:23 PM
To: <SCBIRDCL...>

Where can you get it? I've been wanting to plant regular milkweed for the monarchs anyway.

Paul
On May 21, 2018 at 11:43 AM Jon Kauffman <jvk5019...><mailto:<jvk5019...>> wrote:
Hello all,

I am part of a Monarch listserve ( <dplex-l...><mailto:<dplex-l...> ). The post below from Diane Pruden in Michigan makes an interesting observation of the relationship of Orioles and last years milkweed stems.

Best,
Jon

"A quick note to suggest that everyone who can plant swamp milkweed should do so. Not only have we had our first monarch butterflies feed on it when it blooms, the orioles are crazy about the stems. I leave the dead stems up until the new growth appears every year, and the orioles in the area are peeling the dead, long strands of bark for their nesting material. It's been fascinating watching them go to the base of the stalks, work their bills up and down until the bark starts to peel away, and then pull up strands as long as they can."

Join us on Facebook!