Date: 5/16/18 2:18 pm
From: Ethan Goodman <ethangoodman...>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Mad Sq Park report: Mourning Warbler and other goodies
I knew something was afoot when I walked my son to preschool through Madison Square Park this morning and saw lots of non-house-sparrow activity on the Center Oval lawn (which is usually the province of Robins, Starlings and House Sparrows):  First a Common Yellowthroat, then a Redstart in a tree, then a female Towhee in the newly-planted shrubs in the center of the lawn, then Ovenbird, Canada Warbler, Swainson's Thrush, and the biggie...MOURNING WARBLER!  Out in the open foraging in the grass, a no-doubter.  It soon became apparent that, for some reason, the Park drew it lots of birds today.  Baltimore Oriole and Wood Thush also heard in the trees.  And after I left, reports kept coming in of more: Magnolia Warbler, Indigo Bunting, female Hooded Warbler.  A great day for Madison Square Park, and now the park sits at 97 species...3 species away from turning from BLUE to GREEN on the eBird hotspot heat map.  Go microparks!
-Ethan Goodman

ARCHIVES:
3) http://birding.aba.org/maillist/NY01

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/