Date: 5/15/18 9:52 pm
From: David Arbour <arbour...>
Subject: Red Slough Bird Survey - May 15
Ford Hendershot and I surveyed birds today at Red Slough and found 76
species. The weather started off rainy, overcast, and mild, but soon turned
partly cloudy and hot. Very few migrants were found despite a lot of effort
to find some. The heronry on Pintail Lake was a buzz with activity as the
Cattle egrets were busy carrying sticks and nest building. A great Egret
was also apparently trying to build a nest in there too as it was playing
around with a stick in its bill. The Anhingas and Neotropic Cormorants
were busy incubating eggs and watching their new neighbors, the Cattle
Egrets, move in around them. Green Herons, who have their own heronry
further back on the lake, kept streaming back and forth as well. I was
driving up Red Slough Road from the middle parking area to the north parking
area when I noticed something dark moving in the road ahead of me. Thinking
it was probably another turtle I prepared to pass it when suddenly I
realized it was a mink carrying something in its mouth. And also there was
something else in the road beside it. I stopped quickly and the mink
dropped what I now recognized was a baby mink and ran on across the road
without it. I quickly backed up a little ways to give her some room. The
other object in the road was also a baby mink and I quickly spotted another
at the road edge. How she ended up with all 3 of these babies in the road a
once I have no idea. But as I watched she came back out into the road and
grabbed each baby one at a time and carried it off into the tall grass
beside a bridge. She made 3 trips back across the road until she had safely
retrieved all her young. The young minks were so tiny that they couldn't
hardly walk. Here is our list for today:

Black-bellied Whistling Duck - 2

Canada Goose - 2

Wood Duck - 13

Blue-winged Teal - 12