Date: 5/15/18 11:31 am
From: Russell Benedict <BenedictR...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Re: my poor students
The great day continues. The same window that was active this morning when my students were taking a test is still the place to be. Just outside the windows on the SW corner of the Vermeer Science Center at Central College are a couple of young English or swamp white oaks that are flowering. They have been buzzing with bird activity all day - the latest was a male and a female Bay-breasted Warbler (only the third or fourth time I have seen that species) and a Scarlet Tanager so close that I had to back up (and put on sunglasses!). I have lived in Pella for 16 years now. I have had individual days that are similar to what I have seen lately, but I have never had seven straight days of migrant activity like this. Does this mean that the folks to our east are not seeing much? Have the weather patterns funneled a lot of the bird activity to us - activity that usually is spread out more evenly across the U.S.? Russ.

Russ Benedict

Professor of Biology

Director of Prairies For Agriculture Project

Department of Biology, Central College

812 University Street | Campus Box 09 | Pella, Iowa 50219
Office: 641-628-5173
[http://departments.central.edu/centralcommunications/files/2012/09/centralCollegeEmailLogo.png]