Date: 5/14/18 7:18 pm
From: Brandon Caswell <brandon.caswell83...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Wildcat Den State Park today, Muscatine Co.
Birders,

Despite a rather late start to our outing at Wildcat Den SP, James
Huntington and I put together a nice list. Upon our arrival around midday
the bird activity was still impressive. We hiked the trail to Horseshoe
Bend in hopes of finding a Worm-eating Warbler. We were unable to see or
hear one, but saw some other notables:

~KENTUCKY WARBLER (2), singing males, one with more drab facial markings
~male MOURNING WARBLER, also singing
~singing CERULEAN WARBLER
~multiple CANADA WARBLERS
~SUMMER and SCARLET TANAGERS
~5+ singing ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS
~singles of VEERY and GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH; many SWAINSON'S THRUSH
~LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, likely on territory

We wondered whether the Worm-eating Warbler stops singing earlier in the
season or just in the AM? This spring we have now checked this location
and have both checked the Croton Unit at Shimek SF separately without any
luck on this species.

Good birding,
Brandon Caswell
Marion