Date: 5/13/18 1:39 pm
From: NATHAN KUHNERT <nrkuhnert...>
Subject: OKC Audubon - East Norman Field Trip, May 12, 2018
On Saturday morning, May 12th, eleven birders gathered in Norman for a nice casual field trip that lasted approximately from 8:30 to about 1:00.  We focused most of our efforts along the south end of Jenkins, 168th Street and Lake Thunderbird South Dam. Sustained southerly winds of 20 mph made it a bit difficult and the consensus was that things were a bit slow. However, everyone still appreciated the variety we did find and we managed to tally about 65 species. We also stopped to rescue a three-toed box turtle that had gotten hit on highway 9 and we took it to WildCare in Noble.
Perhaps the most noteworthy bird was the one Loggerhead Shrike we spotted along highway 9 on the way out to Little Axe. There were no cuckoos that called out and a lot of the migratory warblers had cleared out from just a week ago.
Although we missed the Acadian Flycatcher, we found more Black Vultures and Fish Crows than Turkey Vultures and American Crows, respectively and we logged the ever-reliable Yellow-throatred Warblers. If I'd had seen this list 10 years ago, I might have guessed that we birded somewhere down along the Blue River. Here is the complete list:
Great blue Heron (2)Canada Goose (1)Wild Turkey (1)Black Vulture (5)Turkey Vulture (2)Mississippi Kite (7)Red-shouldered Hawk (1)Red-tailed Hawk (1)Killdeer (1)Mourning Dove (5)Ruby-throated Hummingbird (2)Chimney Swift (3)Belted Kingfisher (1)Red-bellied Woodpecker (2)Hairy Woodpecker (2)Downy Woodpecker (1)Least Flycatcher (3)Empidonax sp. (2)Pileated Woodpecker (1)Eastern Wood-Pewee (3)Great Crested Flycatcher (7)Western Kingbird (4)Eastern Kingbird (3)Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (8)American Crow (5)Fish Crow (6)Northern Rough-winged Swallow (2)Purple Martin (3)Barn Swallow (2)Cliff Swallow (8)Loggerhead Shrike (1)Bell's Vireo (1)White-eyed Vireo (2)Red-eyed Vireo (3)Blue Jay (6)Carolina Chickadee (3)Tuften Titmouse (4)White-breasted Nuthatch (2)Carolina Wren (6)Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (7)Eastern Bluebird (4)Swainson's Thrush (2)American Robin (3)Northern Mockingbird (2)European Starling (9)Cedar Waxwing (12)Prothonotary  Warbler (2)Kentucky Warbler (1) Black-and-white Warbler (1)Northern Parula (4)Yellow-throated Warbler (2)Yellow Warbler (2)Grasshopper Sparrow (1)Summer Tanager (1)Northern Cardinal (7)Blue Grosbeak (6)Indigo Bunting (9)Painted Bunting (7)Dickcissel (13)Eastern Meadowlark (3)Great-tailed Grackle (2)Orchard Oriole (3)Baltimore Oriole (1)Brown-headed Cowbird (7)House Finch (9)American Goldfinch (29)
nrkNorman, OK

Join us on Facebook!