Date: 5/13/18 10:14 am
From: Stuart Sparkman <jacamar29...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Saylorville Migrants
Hey I-Birders,

Karen, Harney and I just returned from a morning birding at
Cottonwood Rec Area below Saylorville Dam (Polk Co.). We had a
plethora of birds, as I suspect you all experienced this fine weekend
as well. One highlight from today was a pair of WHITE-EYED VIREOS,
which we first heard, then located and got terrific looks at. While
this species wouldn't be considered "rare" in this area, it is
decidedly uncommon. We had good luck with warblers this morning, with
a surprising four MOURNING WARBLERS. Two VEERYS were also an
unexpected thrill, and we had a nice sighting of the uncommon
YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER as well.

Pardon the late report, but yesterday our outing to Cherry Glen and
Oak Grove (east side of Saylorville Lake) was similarly outstanding,
with a total of twenty warbler species, including an astonishing four
CAPE MAY WARBLERS. Three BLACKBURNIAN, five BLACK-THROATED GREEN and
ten MAGNOLIA WARBLERS seemed like a decadent abundance. Three
PHILADELPHIA VIREOS and an OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER were also
noteworthy. Multiple SCARLET and SUMMER TANAGERS were present. A
male of the latter spent about 20 minutes foraging in the mowed grass,
repeatedly hopping up a foot or so to flycatch. We weren't really
trying to approach him, but he ignored us to such an extent that as we
birded the forest edge we found ourselves within about five meters of
this unusual behavior.

Today's PALM and MOURNING WARBLERS and NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH brought
our weekend warbler species total to a delightful 23. Of species one
could expect at this site only Canada and Yellow-throated somehow
escaped our scrutiny. I hope many of you had similar luck in your
birding endeavors. Looking forward to seeing many of your next
weekend at IOU.

Stuart Sparkman
NW Des Moines