Date: 5/12/18 2:12 pm
From: JFR <johnfredman...>
Subject: MIGRATORY SHOREBIRDS AT BOYD POINT
Yesterday and today, I observed and photographed a variety of migratory shorebirds at the Boyd Point Wastewater Treatment Facility in Pine Bluff. Dried algae beds, which form de facto "mudflats", are unusual for this time of year at Boyd Point and, therefore, we miss many of the spring migrants in breeding plumage. But this spring, the beds are present. The shorebirds included a flock of 8 Wilson's Phalaropes, 2 pair of Black-necked Stilts, 12 Least Sandpipers, 8 Semi-palmated Sandpipers, 7 Spotted Sandpipers,10 Pectoral Sandpipers and 1 Lesser Yellowlegs. In addition 4 Least Terns have arrived.
John Redman

Join us on Facebook!