Date: 5/10/18 1:36 pm
From: Larry & Penny Alden <overlook...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [HMBirds] Century Run
Thanks, Rich. The date of this year’s Century Run is Saturday, May 19.

I’m the coordinator and while I don’t know if HMBC has set a percentage of birds which must be identified by all team members, I’ve personally operated on a 95% rule. Efforts should be made to get all team members on each species.

Any team or individual taking part should email their results (species seen, team members, hours afield, and geographic area covered [i.e., Schenectady and Saratoga counties]) to me within a few days of the event.

Larry Alden

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 10, 2018, at 3:46 PM, Richard Guthrie <richardpguthrie...> [hmbirds] <hmbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Since this question came up elsewhere, I thought I'd offer the following:
>
> For anyone not familiar with the Century Run, it is a time honored effort to challenge area birders to team up to see who can come up with 100 or more species in one predetermined date and within the HMBC Region (NYSOA's11-county Region 8). There is also a competitive air to the event, seeing which group can come up with the highest number of species for that day and perhaps the highest number for all time relevant to prior Century Runs. To maximize on the timing of migration, the date is sometime mid-May. The day is defined as midnight to midnight on that chosen date. A team can consist of any number of individuals but they all have to stay together (within sight or ear-shout of the rest of the team). To count for the team total, any claimed species must be seen or heard by a certain number (90%?) of that team's participants.
>
> Team results are forwarded to the HMBC coordinator by a certain date and are then published in the club's newsletter.
>
> I'm sure I've left a pertinent point or two out - and I'm not sure of that 90% rule. So if anyone has additional info to add, feel free to chime in.
>
> Rich Guthrie
>

> --
> Richard Guthrie

Join us on Facebook!