Date: 5/9/18 12:55 pm
From: Kathi Johnson Rock <kathijr777...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Orioles and jelly
Alan,
It's a good question. I am very familiar with what is safe for
hummingbirds, but not so much for Orioles. Here is a link from the Journey
North site which generally talks about the use of grape jelly:

https://www.learner.org/jnorth/unpave/oriole.html

I read anecdotal accounts where people said that Orioles refused to eat
jellies that did not contain corn syrup.

Since this grape jelly is such a small part of their diet during migration
and your Orioles have been fine with the corn syrup-based grape jellies, I
would continue to use those and not worry about it.

I hope this helps a little.

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Dane County, WI

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 2:21 PM, Alan & Joan Linquist <linquists...>
wrote:

> I have a question about orioles and jelly. Its been said that orioles
> like grape jelly. I was at the store, looking at the various brands and
> the issue of corn syrup popped into my mind. From what I remember, we are
> NOT supposed to give hummingbirds corn syrup based sweetened water. Only
> pure cane sugar will do. Does this rule apply to orioles? Except for the
> expensive brands, all grape jellies are corn syrup based. Is this okay for
> larger birds? Is there a brand they prefer? I'm putting some out today.
> Thanks.
> Alan LinquistWashington County

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin, Dane County
Zone 4/5
e-mail: <kathijr...>
website: www.hummingbirdgardening.net
telephone: (608) 233-7397

"Hummingbirds.....where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this
glittering
fragment of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..."; (J. J. Audubon)