Date: 5/8/18 1:05 pm
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Morning Birds
It was another good morning of birding around home. We have a
first-of-the-property Northern Parula. We don't have many evergreen trees,
but this bird has been hanging around some of the taller hemlocks. I hope
it stays and nests. They seem to have nested on a neighbor's property in
past years.

I had good looks at the Golden-winged Warbler today. Yesterday I just heard
it. They used to nest here but now seem to move on. We'll see.

Our bluebird box has five, warm eggs in it. The male Eastern Bluebird has
been standing guard. I hope the House Wrens leave them alone, but they are
singing and establishing territory which makes me fearful for the
bluebirds. An Eastern Phoebe is nesting on our porch platform.

A pair of Gray Catbirds greeted me when I looked out this morning. One was
carrying nesting material. Meanwhile, in the same shrubs, the Brown
Thrasher was thrashing a chipmunk. I wonder if the thrasher has a nest
closeby?

Herb Myers, Harman, Randolph County

*Mountain House of Hope*, Randolph, West Virginia, US
May 8, 2018 7:15 AM - 9:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: Clear, 44 degrees
27 species

Ruffed Grouse 1 heard drumming
Mourning Dove 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Red-eyed Vireo 2
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 1
Black-capped Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 2
House Wren 2
Carolina Wren 1
Eastern Bluebird 1 nest box has five, warm eggs in it
American Robin 4
Gray Catbird 3 one carrying nesting material
Brown Thrasher 1 aggressively chasing a chipmunk
Louisiana Waterthrush 1
Common Yellowthroat 2
Hooded Warbler 2
American Redstart 1
Northern Parula 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler 5
Song Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee 3
Indigo Bunting 1
House Finch 2
American Goldfinch 4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45460292

*Blizzards Gate Road low, Harman*, WV, Randolph, West Virginia, US
May 8, 2018 9:15 AM - 10:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: clear, 48 degrees