Date: 5/8/18 8:49 am
From: Janet Hinshaw <jhinshaw...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Orioles are all wrong!
Chances are your birds are different than the ones you had last year. The
males have individual songs and can be quite different. Some are only a few
notes and some are much longer. Females also sing, although not as complex
songs as the males. Here is some information from Cornell's Birds of North
America:

Males on adjacent territories often have matching song repertoires, or at
least several identical songs or notes (Beletsky 1982a
<https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/balori/references#REF39249>).
Edinger (Edinger 1985
<https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/balori/references#REF3455>)
suggested that such neighbors might be siblings or unrelated birds from
nearby nests who learned from the same adult(s).

Although both these alternatives suggest early song-learning, some males
(not all neighbors sing similar songs) may be able to learn songs later and
adjust their singing to that of neighbors after territories have been set
up (Edinger 1985
<https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/balori/references#REF3455>).
Some changes in song occur in adult birds; Clawson (Clawson 1980
<https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/balori/references#REF53493>)
noted that although the songs of yearling (in first potential breeding
season) and older males were similar with respect to 6 variables considered
separately, it was possible to differentiate songs of the 2 age groups
using discriminant function analysis of all 6 variables together.

Janet Hinshaw ph: 734-764-0457
Bird Division Collection Manager fax: 734-998-0038
University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
Research Museums Center
3600 Varsity Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48108-2228 USA

http://lsa.umich.edu/ummz/birds/ <http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/birds/>