Date: 5/7/18 4:34 pm
From: Bill Bickel via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Foxstone Park and Falls Church back yard
May 7---We decided to try a local park in Vienna this morning and were well rewarded. We were lucky to see all the following at close range between 8 and 10 am:

N. Parula
B & W
Black-throated blue
Blackpoll
Magnolia
Yellow-rumps
Cape May
Chestnut-sided
Bay-breasted
Blackburnian
Yellow
Com. Yellowthroat (male and female)

Green-backed heron
RB Grosbeak (male)

Heard but not seen: Hooded warbler and possible Wilson's

In our backyard, we have a pondless waterfall/stream at the edge of our patio. In the afternoon and evening we saw the following either bathing or next to the stream:

Blue-headed vireo
N. Parula
Black-throated green
B & W
Magnolia
Yellow-rumps
Cape May
Chestnut-sided
Yellow (female)
Com. Yellowthroat (male and female)

Scarlet tanager
Rose-br. grosbeak (female)
Indigo bunting
Cedar waxwings

Heard but not seen: Ovenbird, Blackpoll

At one point, the cape may and parula were squabbling over the same spot in the stream, when they were both run off by a landing waxwing.

Seems strange, but have yet to see a redstart!

—Bill and Janet Bickel