Date: 5/7/18 5:11 am
From: Jory Teltser via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Extralimital VARIED BUNTING
Wow, talk about a mega! I personally have pondered this species as a
potential vagrant to the east coast, but I would have never thought that in
PA in May one would actually show up! Information about the bird below
(copied from the PA Listserv, posted yesterday):

"Hello All,

Bob Mulvihill called me shortly after 6:30 this evening to kindly ask if
I’d like to see a VARIED BUNTING to which I skeptically replied, “Are you
for real, they’re from Southwest Texas and Southeastern Arizona! Is it a
reliable ID?” He replied with a quick yes, and even better, the bird was in
Elizabeth, PA, only about a 10 minute drive from our neighborhood. I picked
up Bob and contacted Geoff Malosh. We arrived at the home and Geoff,
Shannon Thompson, Dave Wilton showed up shortly after. We waited about 15
minutes before the bird, an adult male in stunning breeding plumage, came
in, foraging along the ground below a feeder behind the home.

This is an exceptionally rare vagrant, and a PA first record. All present
saw the bird. The homeowners are willing to allow visitors but under the
following two conditions:

1) All visitors wishing to see the bird need to set up a visit with Dave
Wilton who will give further directions involving visit times and parking
at a nearby church. Dave may be reached at ‭(412) 848-2372‬.

PLEASE CONTACT DAVE FIRST BEFORE SHOWING UP TO SEE THE BIRD! The homeowners
are generous and willing to let everyone see the bird, but want to maintain
their sanity. DO NOT SHOW UP UNANNOUNCED!

2) YOU MUST USE THE FOLLOWING eBIRD HOTSPOT!

https://ebird.org/hotspot/L7361442

Please DO NOT DROP PERSONAL LOCATIONS in eBird! The homeowners would rather
the world not know their home location. Dave will give you directions
personally.

In full disclosure, the bird has now been present at the home for 48 hours,
having been first spotted by the homeowners yesterday. Hopefully, everyone
will respect the homeowners’ wishes and have a chance to see this amazing
rarity!

All the best to those of you who chase this bird!

Good Birding (and good fortune!),
Jim Hausman
Allegheny County"

--
Jory Teltser:
President of the CTYBC, and Member of the Land Management Committee at