Date: 5/6/18 8:30 pm
From: Tom Lawler <tjlawler...>
Subject: [COBOL] Sunriver Nature Center Birdwalk - Saturday 5/5
Yesterday’s bird walk was well attended. We were all hoping to once again find a Great Gray but failed to locate it on this walk. It could still be around but they are a tough bird to spot on occasions. Eleven signups with two additional “assistant leaders”. Three of us birded the Cardinal Landing area for an hour prior to the bird walk. We picked up a few additional species in that area.

44 species seen or heard at 5 locations on 5/5/18.

Cardinal Landing - 22 sightings

Canada Goose 9
Mallard 6
Cinnamon Teal 3
Ring-necked Duck 4
Common Merganser 1
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Wilson's Snipe (Heard) 1
Mourning Dove 1
Red-naped Sapsucker 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Steller's Jay 2
Common Raven 1
Tree Swallow 6
Violet-green Swallow 3
Barn Swallow 1
Mountain Chickadee 4
Pygmy Nuthatch 7
American Robin 6
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
Red-winged Blackbird 25
Evening Grosbeak 25

Mary McCallum Park - 17 sightings

Canada Goose 4
Mallard 4
Green-winged Teal 4
Canvasback 1
Ring-necked Duck 2
Common Merganser 1
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Mourning Dove 2
Northern Flicker 1
Tree Swallow 6
Mountain Chickadee 4
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
Brown Creeper 2
American Robin 1
Red-winged Blackbird 3
Brown-headed Cowbird 3
Red Crossbill 3

Sunriver Marina - 7 sightings

Ring-necked Duck 3
Killdeer 1
Tree Swallow 7
Barn Swallow 6
European Starling 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
Brewer's Blackbird 3

Sunriver Nature Center - 28 sightings

Emperor Goose 1
Canada Goose 10
Trumpeter Swan 3
American Wigeon 2
Mallard 14
Green-winged Teal 2
Ring-necked Duck 12
Common Merganser 2
Pied-billed Grebe 1
Turkey Vulture 1
Sora (Heard) 1
American Coot 1
Wilson's Snipe 4
Mourning Dove 5
Northern Flicker 1
Common Raven 2
Tree Swallow 24
Mountain Chickadee 3
Marsh Wren (Heard) 4
American Robin 6
Common Yellowthroat 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 6
Savannah Sparrow 3
White-crowned Sparrow 1
Red-winged Blackbird 23
Brewer's Blackbird 2
Brown-headed Cowbird 7
House Finch 1

Sunriver Stables - 9 sightings

Red-tailed Hawk 1
Steller's Jay 3
Common Raven 1
Tree Swallow 9
American Robin 2
European Starling 2
Savannah Sparrow 2
Brewer's Blackbird 4
Brown-headed Cowbird 1

Bird walks are at 8:30 am on most Saturdays. There will be one next Saturday 5/12. Call the Nature Center to sign up.

Tom

Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we'll soon be in trouble - Roger Tory Peterson