Date: 5/6/18 11:58 am
From: Jeff Bilsky <jbilsky...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Weekend Birding - Lake and Cook Counties
For those who just prefer to look at lists - here's my links w/photos from
yesterday and today.

Waukegan Beach 5/5: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45334615
Van Patten Woods 5/5: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45334639
Skokie Lagoons 5/5: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45334657
Montrose 5/6: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45364372
Photo album from Saturday with more pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmk5oqLZ

At Waukegan, met Paul Sweet for the count (after being stuck for 2 hours
from a highway closure due to an accident) and he quickly got me on the
massive WILLET flock (75+?) and a PIPING PLOVER (he had had an additional
one prior to my arrival). We wandered the area for a while adding lots of
species. A YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER was a great find. Also had a
GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER here briefly. The dunes produced a couple of
GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS. A distant egret flying by that was initially
dismissed as a Great, appeared to be a SNOWY upon further examination. Paul
should have better photos than me, showing yellow lores and feet. Lots of
CLAY-COLORED sparrows and many of them singing - which was pretty cool.

Off to Van Patten to meet the rest of our group (sans Al who headed to St.
Mary's) and we wandered the area in a couple of different groups. The
highlights for me were stunning CAPE MAY WARBLERS and the fortuitous find,
loss, and re-find of a WORM-EATING WARBLER. I picked up this bird, got my
cohorts on it and then it disappeared for close to 20 minutes or so only to
fly in again and land right over my head where it allowed some decent
photos before heading off again. We called it a count and I headed to
Captain Porky's Seafood and BBQ with Paul and Janice. If you haven't been
to Captain Porky's, you need to do yourself a favor and go there.

During the final tally I realized we had been having a prolific warbler
day. Having never seen more than 19 in a day (I've done most of my birding
out west and this is only year two in Illinois for me) I wanted to push my
run and see what I could do. I headed to my "home-field" of Skokie Lagoons
to see what I could add. It took a few minutes but once I headed into the
woods, I found some flocks and quickly added several I needed including
MAGNOLIA (somehow had missed it all day), BLACKPOLL, TENNESSEE and
BLACK-THROATED BLUE. Then a NORTHERN PARULA gave me warbler neck, a singing
PROTHONOTARY and a waterthrush that I felt pretty good calling a LOUISIANA
got me to 25. Other stuff at Skokie Lagoons included a RED-HEADED
WOODPECKER and the continuing good looks at SORAS that are offered by the
flooded areas. A young SHARP-SHINNED HAWK briefly zipped through the woods
looking for food and a WILSON'S SNIPE flushed from a flooded area - giving
me Skokie Lagoons life birds 145 and 146 (considering I only started
birding there on 4/1/17, this is a pretty decent list showing the effect of
continuing to hit the same spot).

I decided to take things a little easier today and headed to Montrose this
morning. Added a WILSON'S WARBLER and some other pretty good stuff, but
nothing out of the ordinary. Spent a lot of time picking through the
sparrow flocks.

Good birding all!

Waukegan Beach, Lake, Illinois, US
May 5, 2018 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
69 species

Canada Goose 2
Blue-winged Teal 4
Northern Shoveler 2
Mallard 2
Green-winged Teal 2
Red-breasted Merganser 6
Great Blue Heron 2
Snowy Egret 1 flew by north to south - golden feet, yellow lores -
distant photos that don't show much unfortunately. However, Paul should
have better pics.
Green Heron 3
Turkey Vulture 1
Sora 1
Sandhill Crane 2
Piping Plover 1
Killdeer 2
Willet 75 incredible flock!
Ring-billed Gull 40
Herring Gull 20
Caspian Tern 50
Forster's Tern 20
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 2
Mourning Dove 2
Chimney Swift 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2
Eastern Kingbird 1
Warbling Vireo 1
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow X
Tree Swallow X
Barn Swallow X
House Wren 2
Marsh Wren 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4
Swainson's Thrush 4
American Robin 15
Gray Catbird 5
Brown Thrasher 4
European Starling 5
Ovenbird 1
Northern Waterthrush 1
Golden-winged Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 2
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Nashville Warbler 5
American Redstart 2
Yellow Warbler 5
Palm Warbler 30
Yellow-rumped Warbler 30
Yellow-throated Warbler 1
Grasshopper Sparrow 2
Chipping Sparrow 15
Clay-colored Sparrow 8 several singing and foraging with chipping
sparrows (photos)
White-crowned Sparrow 10
White-throated Sparrow 30
Song Sparrow 5
Lincoln's Sparrow 2
Eastern Towhee 4
Northern Cardinal 2
Eastern Meadowlark 3
Baltimore Oriole 1
Red-winged Blackbird X
Brown-headed Cowbird X
Common Grackle X
House Finch 1
European Goldfinch 2
American Goldfinch 8

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45334615

Van Patten Woods Forest Preserve, Lake, Illinois, US
May 5, 2018 10:05 AM - 1:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.82 mile(s)
61 species

Canada Goose 2
Wood Duck 2
Blue-winged Teal 2
Mallard 2
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 4
Cooper's Hawk 1
Sora 3
Sandhill Crane 4
Wilson's Snipe 1
Solitary Sandpiper 2
Mourning Dove 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 4
Northern Flicker 2
Least Flycatcher 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
Yellow-throated Vireo 2
Blue Jay 5
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 2
Purple Martin 15
Tree Swallow 20
Barn Swallow 5
Black-capped Chickadee 3
Red-breasted Nuthatch 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
House Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 5
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 6
Swainson's Thrush 5
Hermit Thrush 1
American Robin 15
Gray Catbird 7
Brown Thrasher 3
Ovenbird 1
Worm-eating Warbler 1
Northern Waterthrush 4
Black-and-white Warbler 4
Orange-crowned Warbler 1
Nashville Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 1
Cape May Warbler 2
Blackburnian Warbler 3
Yellow Warbler 6
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Palm Warbler 35
Pine Warbler 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler 25
Black-throated Green Warbler 4
Chipping Sparrow 8
Field Sparrow 3
White-throated Sparrow 15
Savannah Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 6
Swamp Sparrow 2
Northern Cardinal 6
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
Baltimore Oriole 1
Red-winged Blackbird 5
Brown-headed Cowbird 7
American Goldfinch 4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45334639

Skokie Lagoons Forest Preserve--Willow Rd., Cook, Illinois, US
May 5, 2018 3:22 PM - 8:11 PM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
68 species

Canada Goose 8
Wood Duck 4
Mallard 8
Double-crested Cormorant 8
Great Blue Heron 10
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Sora 5
Wilson's Snipe 1
Spotted Sandpiper 2
Solitary Sandpiper 1
Ring-billed Gull 1
Herring Gull 2
Caspian Tern 1
Mourning Dove 1
Common Nighthawk 2
Red-headed Woodpecker 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 7
Northern Flicker 5
Eastern Phoebe 2
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Warbling Vireo 3
Blue Jay 4
Northern Rough-winged Swallow 10
Purple Martin 4
Tree Swallow 20
Barn Swallow 5
Black-capped Chickadee 4
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
House Wren 3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4
Swainson's Thrush 7
Wood Thrush 1
American Robin 25
Gray Catbird 6
Brown Thrasher 1
Louisiana Waterthrush 1 at least one Louisiana present...overall white
vs yellowish of northerns, clean chin, big bill
Northern Waterthrush 18
Black-and-white Warbler 4
Prothonotary Warbler 1
Tennessee Warbler 2
Orange-crowned Warbler 4
Nashville Warbler 12
Common Yellowthroat 1
American Redstart 2
Northern Parula 3
Magnolia Warbler 3
Yellow Warbler 10
Chestnut-sided Warbler 1
Blackpoll Warbler 2
Black-throated Blue Warbler 1
Palm Warbler 40
Yellow-rumped Warbler 65
Black-throated Green Warbler 3
Field Sparrow 1
White-crowned Sparrow 2
White-throated Sparrow 10
Song Sparrow 8
Lincoln's Sparrow 3
Swamp Sparrow 20
Northern Cardinal 5
Rose-breasted Grosbeak 1
Baltimore Oriole 1
Red-winged Blackbird 10
Brown-headed Cowbird 6
Common Grackle 8
American Goldfinch 4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S45334657

Montrose Point, Lincoln Park, Chicago, Cook, Illinois, US
May 6, 2018 9:28 AM - 12:19 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.55 mile(s)
68 species