Date: 5/6/18 12:47 am
From: bonjule <bonjule...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] LABIRD-L Digest - 4 May 2018 to 5 May 2018 (#2018-121)
Change email address to blabordejohnson@gmail,com

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 6, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: LABIRD-L automatic digest system <LISTSERV...> Date: 5/6/18 12:00 AM (GMT-06:00) To: <LABIRD-L...> Subject: LABIRD-L Digest - 4 May 2018 to 5 May 2018 (#2018-121)

Topics of the day:

  1. Hudsonian godwits
  2. Louisiana Life birding article (2)
  3. Rose-breasted Grosbeaks continue to Move Through (2)
  4. squirrels and bird houses
  5. LOS Shorebirding Field Trip

Date:    Sat, 5 May 2018 14:25:50 -0500
From:    Marybeth Lima <marybeth.lima...>
Subject: Hudsonian godwits

Pair in wet field, Southwest corner of intersection of Highway 14 and Highway 91 (on Highway 91). Field contains lots of wading birds as well.

Sent from my iPhone

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 5 May 2018 20:15:35 +0000
From:    Chris Johnston <cmjohnston...>
Subject: Re: Louisiana Life birding article

It is a generally accepted rule in journalism that you never let the
people you have interviewed review the piece prior to publication. They may
call you back to verify any quotes prior to publication, but this varies
greatly by the newspaper or magazine they are employed by and is
influenced by how close the reporter is to the publication deadline and how
busy they are (reporters today are very busy).

Some reporters will allow subjects to review pieces but it is highly
unusual and done on a case-by-case basis. For instance, NY TImes does not
allow it under any circumstance.

Christopher Johnston

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 5 May 2018 16:34:57 -0500
From:    Holly Morales <tashayoda3...>
Subject: Re: Rose-breasted Grosbeaks continue to Move Through

I had 8 in the feeder at one time earlier this week.  That was the most
we've ever seen. One male window crasher, but he eventually was able to fly
away.
Holly in Mandeville

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 5 May 2018 17:11:55 -0500
From:    Jay V Huner <jvh0660...>

Christopher,

If we've met, I profess senior amnesia as I don't recall who you are and whether or not you're in the news media. As I've said elsewhere in association with this "thread", I always prepared a 2-3 page, double-spaced report on the topic when a reporter was coming to interview me about a topic associated with my work - crawfish, in general, and, crawfish-bird interaction, in particular. Reporters, print or radio/TV don't have a lot of space/time. I made it a point to include pros/cons.

I started doing this after I had an experience somewhat similar to Nancy's. Except in my case, I spoke to the reporter and the reporter got it ALL wrong.

I wanted the reporters to have the facts whether or not they used them. I rarely had any "issues" with reports after I started doing that.

Now, in regards to the NY Times, I simply don't recall how I was contacted by a science reporter for that paper but I was contacted by a nice lady who came to interview me about crawfish and birds. Crawfish systems provide invaluable habitat for birds, especially those that eat crawfish - ask LDWF about their whoopers nesting in crawfish ponds and their wayward flock of about 8 or so DUMB whoopers that keep walking around public highways adjacent to crawfish-rice (working wetland) complexes in SW Louisiana.

I don't think the lady reporter sent me her copy to review but it was to the point and correct as regards the controversy between the farmers and the environmentalist who seem to think birds are "good" for crawfish ponds by thinning out smaller crawfish.

Lazy reporters deserve to be chastised for poor reporting BUT one issue is their editors. A report may be proper and to the point but the editor removes enough words to make it a cruddy report!

Remember, in politics, the most important thing is to make sure your name is spelled correctly!

Jay Huner

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 5 May 2018 20:55:18 -0500
From:    Mary Jimenez <mary.jimenez509...>
Subject: squirrels and bird houses

I hope these questions aren't  too annoying. but I had some red-bellied
woodpecker nesters in a partially dead pecan tree, but today I discovered a
squirrel nesting at the very top of the cut off tree. (someone before I
moved in  cut off most of the top branches probably a home threat, it's
very close to  the house) any who, I haven't seen my woodpeckers or heard
them in a day.. So I'm now looking at bird house options for the
woodpeckers and possibly blue birds, wrens , etc. ..before I spend a lot of
useless money, can someone inform me some best buys?  I live in northwest
Louisiana near a golf course and I can garden to accommodate birds. or just
send a link to an article or past reference. thanks.

and... I was a reporter and reported on birds and what Jay said was true
about editors. You'll write a story and they chop off inches and make it
sound ridiculous!. when i wrote about subjects that i found were over my
head i usually let my experts pre read, even though the norm for reporters
is, no pre-reads. I also found that a ridiculous norm.

mary jimenez

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 5 May 2018 20:58:19 -0500
From:    Nancy L Newfield <nancy...>

Holly, I think I must have hosted as many as 50 to 60 Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks over the past week or so.  As of this morning, there were still 2
adult males, 1 with a drooping wing, but after about 1300, all were gone.
It was fun while it lasted!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 5 May 2018 22:39:16 -0500
From:    Paul Conover <zoiseaux...>
Subject: LOS Shorebirding Field Trip

Labird,

        The LOS shorebird field trip today had excellent weather, a
great group, and some great sights and sightings. The trip started out
in Jennings this morning with cool north winds and lightly overcast
skies that were excellent for shorebird viewing. We worked our way south
with a lot of east and west side-turns down quiet country roads, looking
for shorebird fields. With changes in rice culture, the muddy open
fields full of birds that used to be commonplace have become amazingly
scarce, replaced by precision-planted fields that birds can tuck
themselves away in. However, we did luck onto a nice pasture with
displaying Buff-breasted Sandpipers, another field with a good
comparison of alternate-plumage Golden and Black-bellied plovers, and a
few fields that offered small numbers of birds but great looks. We also
got in a few nice non-shorebird stops, including a scenic Cave Swallow
nesting colony in the middle of miles of rice fields.

         Our last shorebird stop was the shorebird spectacle on
Rutherford Beach Road that others have been posting or eBirding about
for a week or so, an expanse of mudflats densely speckled with thousands
of shorebirds composed largely of Stilt Sandpipers, Semipalmated
Sandpipers, and Wilson's Phalarope. The numbers were unbelievable, and
the looks up close and in optimum light.

        When the sun finally came out the temperature rose quickly, so
we retired to the shade of Willow Island to look for migrant songbirds.
Migrant action was slow, but what migrants were there showed off well.

Paul Conover

Lafayette

End of LABIRD-L Digest - 4 May 2018 to 5 May 2018 (#2018-121)