Date: 5/5/18 8:40 pm
From: 'Molly Jacobson' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Big Day in Hollis
Hi all!I wanted to go all out for Big Day this year, so I embarked on an 11-hr birdathon, mainly around Hollis, visiting a half dozen or so of my favorite sites. These included Ponemah Bog, Beaver Brook - Great Meadow, Maple Hill Farm, and Brown Lane Barn, Monson Center, Woodmont Orchard, and Horseshoe Pond in Merrimack. Overall, I totaled 63 species, which is far more than I expected, though there was nothing out of the ordinary. I was hoping for a yellow-throated vireo but no dice. In fact, I've had better luck this past week than I did today for many species; I was surprised not to get a pileated woodpecker, ruby-crowned kinglet, hermit thrush, or waterthrush at all today. The biggest highlights for me were at Ponemah Bog, where I got a least flycatcher and three nashville warblers! I got a recording and some footage of the nashville, accessible on the checklist (though, eBird is having some site trouble and not processing my audio file at the moment, so it is on xeno-canto as well). A long sought-after field sparrow at Woodmont was a plus too, as well as a pair of warbling vireos at Great Meadow. Alas, the warblers stopped cooperating after about 10am, and I struggled to add to my list after that. It was also very windy all day, making things more difficult. I ended up with 10 warbler species, 7 sparrows (including towhee), only 2 ducks (despite almost every site having open water), and 3 woodpeckers.
Full species list:BLUE JAYAMERICAN CROWCOMMON RAVENCANADA GOOSEMALLARDWOOD DUCKLEAST FLYCATCHER - Ponemah BogEASTERN PHOEBEEASTERN KINGBIRDGREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHERAMERICAN BITTERN - Great MeadowGREAT BLUE HERONTURKEY VULTUREBROAD-WINGED HAWKRED-TAILED HAWKAMERICAN KESTRELBARN SWALLOWTREE SWALLOWCHIPPING SPARROWWHITE-THROATED SPARROWSONG SPARROWSWAMP SPARROWEASTERN TOWHEEFIELD SPARROW - WoodmontSAVANNAH SPARROWBLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEETUFTED TITMOUSEBLUE-HEADED VIREOWARBLING VIREO - Great MeadowBLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLERNASHVILLE WARBLER - Ponemah BogCOMMON YELLOWTHROATBLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLEROVENBIRDPINE WARBLERYELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERPRAIRIE WARBLER - Monson CenterYELLOW WARBLER  - WoodmontBLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLERDOWNY WOODPECKERNORTHERN FLICKERRED-BELLIED WOODPECKERHOUSE WRENCAROLINA WRENMOURNING DOVEEASTERN BLUEBIRDWHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCHGRAY CATBIRDNORTHERN CARDINALBALTIMORE ORIOLERED-WINGED BLACKBIRDAMERICAN GOLDFINCHBELTED KINGFISHERBROWN CREEPERAMERICAN ROBINCOMMON GRACKLEKILLDEERNORTHERN MOCKINGBIRDROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK - WoodmontBROWN-HEADED COWBIRDHOUSE FINCHHOUSE SPARROWEUROPEAN STARLING
It was great fun, and I hope to do this next year too! I'm not used to getting up so early so it was a struggle, but it seems the warblers wait up for no one. I also look forward to birding Odiorne on May 12th for Audubon's International Migratory Bird Day!
Happy Spring!
-Molly JacobsonMerrimack