Date: 5/5/18 5:30 pm
From: Herbert Larner via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Big Spring Day Augusta County

Hello All

This morning I started out at 04 :30 & birded till 17 :30 for our bird clubs Big Spring Day in Augusta County . Other groups were out also . I ended the day with 115 species of birds heard or seen . My area was the Blue Ridge Parkway , Rt 610 , Big Levels , Lyndhurst area , Stuarts Draft area , Fishersville area , Part of the Staunton area & up to the Mint Springs area . I traveled a total of 196 miles by vehicle & walked another 2 .5 miles The weather started out cloudy & as the day went by some sun & finishing with total cloud cover . I ran into areas of rain at times . Temps started out with 62 & a high of 67 which dropped quickly back to 60 at finish time . On the Blue Ridge Parkway around mile marker 13 to 15 the trillium is out in full bloom . Below is a list of birds seen or heard by me today .

CANADA GOOSE -- 35

WOOD DUCK -- 4

MALLARD -- 15

WILD TURKEY -- 1

PIED - BILLED GREBE -- 1

GREAT BLUE HERON -- 55 -- MOST AT ROOKERY SANGERS LANE

GREEN HERON -- 4

BV -- 10

TV -- 27

BALD EAGLE -- 2 WITH ONE YOUNG IN NEST -- STUARTS DRAFT

RED - SHOULDERED HAWK -- 2

BROAD - WINGED HAWK -- 2

RED - TAILED HAWK -- 5 2 ON NEST WITH ONE HAVING 2 YOUNG IN NEST RT. 776 NEW HOPE AREA

AMERICAN KESTREL -- 2

VIRGINIA RAIL -- 3 - SHENANDOAH WETLAND BANK -- WRITTEN PERMISSION

SORA -- 2 - SHEN . WETLANDS BANK

KILLDEER -- 4

SPOTTED SANDPIPER -- 3

SOLITARY SANDPIPER -- 5

LESSER YELLOWLEGS -- 1

AMERICAN WOODCOCK -- 3

ROCK PIGEON -- 40

MOURNING DOVE -- 53

BARN OWL -- 1 WITH 3 YOUNG -- SILO ON GUNTHRIE RD .

EASTERN SCREECH OWL -- 1

CHUCK - WILL'S - WIDOW -- 3

EASTERN WHIP - POOR -- WILL -- 25

CHIMNEY SWIFT -- 72

BELTED KINGFISHER -- 1

RED - HEADED WOODPECKER -- 1

RED - BELLIED WOODPECKER -- 17

DOWNY -- 3

HAIRY -- 1

NORTHER FLICKER -- 9

PILEATED WOODPECKER -- 4

EASTERN WOOD - PEWEE -- 2

ACADIAN - FLYCATCHER -- 1

EASTERN PHOEBE -- 2

GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER -- 7

EASTERN KINGBIRD -- 5

WHITE - EYED VIREO -- 1

BLUE - HEADED VIREO -- 3

RED - EYED VIREO -- 58

BLUE JAY -- 45

AMERICAN CROW -- 31

FISH CROW -- 5

COMMON RAVEN -- 1

HORNED LARK -- 3

PURPLE MARTIN -- 97

TREE SWALLOW -- 63

NORTHERN ROUGH - WINGED SWALLOW -- 15

CLIFF SWALLOW -- 12

BARN SWALLOW -- 105

CAROLINA CHICKADEE -- 37

TUFTED TITMOUSE -- 32

WHITE - BREASTED NUTHATCH -- 7

CAROLINA WREN -- 18

HOUSE WREN -- 7

RUBY -CROWNED KINGLET -- 9

BLUE - GRAY GNATCATCHER -- 16

EASTERN BLUEBIRD -- 13

VEERY -- 1

SWAINSON'S THRUSH -- 1

WOOD THRUSH -- 11

AMERICAN ROBIN -- 279

GRAY CATBIRD -- 36

NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD -- 21

BROWN THRASHER -- 27

EUROPEAN STARLING -- 299

CEDAR WAXWING -- 10

BLUE - WINGED WARBLER -- 1

NASHVILLE WARBLER -- 1

NORTHERN PARULA -- 1

YELLOW WARBLER -- 5

CHESTNUT -- SIDED WARBLER -- 2

MAGNOLIA WARBLER -- 2

YELLOW - RUMPED WARBLER -- 116

BLACK - THROATED GREEN -- 3

YELLOW - THROATED WARBLER -- 1 ON MY PROPERTY NEW YARD BIRD

PINE WARBLER -- 10 -- ONE FEMALE COLLECTING NEST MATERIAL BIG LEVELS

PALM WARBLER -- 3

BAY - BREASTED WARBLER -- 1

CERULEAN WARBLER -- 5

BLACK & WHITE WARBLER -- 3

AMERICAN REDSTART -- 18

WORM -EATING WARBLER -- 29

OVENBIRD -- 24

LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH -- 7

COMMON YELLOWTHROAT -- 5

HOODED WARBLER -- 7

SCARLET TANAGER -- 17

EASTERN TOWHEE -- 49

CHIPPING SPARROW -- 13

FIELD SPARROW -- 17

SAVANNAH SPARROW -- 5

GRASSHOPPER SPARROW -- 2

SONG SPARROW -- 26

SWAMP SPARROW -- 2

WHITE - THROATED SPARROW -- 22

WHITE - CROWNED SPARROW -- 4

DARK - EYED JUNCO -- 3

NORTHERN CARDINAL -- 37

ROSE - BREASTED GROSBEAK -- 3

INDIGO BUNTING -- 7

DICKCISSEL -- 5 THREE ON GUNTHRIE RD & TWO ON RT 608 NEW HOPE AREA

BOBOLINK -- 25

RED -WINGED BLACKBIRD -- 203

EASTERN MEADOWLARK -- 31

COMMON GRACKLE -- 109