Date: 5/5/18 10:44 am
From: Mduros <mduros...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Intra-species murder at Lincoln Park Zoo
I witnessed the same thing a couple of years ago at the North Park Village Nature Center. The attacker wanted the other one dead. And even though me and another couple of birders tried to break it up, we could not. It was horrible to watch, the attacker held the other under the water until it was dead. I didn’t know that they did that either. I suppose not all of them will but some are murderously aggressive with others.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 5, 2018, at 11:17 AM, 'Michael Sweeney' <mike.sweeney2005...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> This morning I saw one male Red-winged Blackbird drown another one in the pond at Lincoln Park Zoo, across from the Chilean Flamingos. When I arrived at the pond the attacking bird was on the back of the struggling victim near the western edge of the pond, repeatedly pushing him down into the water. This went on for several minutes. A small flock of Grackles stopped by to watch. Finally the attacking bird was satisfied, and flew off. The other bird moved occasionally for a couple of minutes after that, but then stopped moving and just floated at the edge of the pond. I certainly knew that they could be ornery, particularly during nesting, but this was a surprise.
>

> On other fronts, vireos are finally showing up -- Warbling in a couple places around the North and South Ponds, and both Blue-headed and Yellow-throated (singing) on the west side of the North Pond. Other than lots of Palms and Yellow-rumpeds, warblers still seemed scarce, at least for me -- several Common Yellowthroats, and individual Yellow, Redstart, Northern Waterthrush, and Northern Parula. I had help on both the Blue-headed Vireo and the Northern Parula (thanks again, Al).
>

> The Black-bellied Whistling Ducks are no longer at the South Pond.
>

> Michael J. Sweeney
>
> (h) 773-281-7249
>
> (c) 312-404-0928
>
> <mike.sweeney2005...>