Date: 5/4/18 10:37 am
From: Jon Little via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] RN GREBE, COME chicks / Clarke Co
I found a single, rather late Red-Necked Grebe today along Ellerslie Rd in
Clarke Co. As I approached to try for a pic, it got up and flew south 1/2
mile or so, but couldn't be found again. As there were canoes & kayaks
downstream, I assume the bird was nervous because of that.

Shortly after, I found a family of Common Mergansers in the same area. There
were 10 young with 1 adult female, one of the chicks on her back (see my
entry in the Atlas for pics). There is a particular rock in the river that
the birds had been sitting on, but jumped in the water when they saw me. We
had seen a pair of COME on that rock, more than once in the past few years,
so I assume the nest was in that area.

Jon Little

Winchester