Date: 5/4/18 9:57 am
From: Will Weber <will...>
Subject: [birders] Attention Hawkwatchers: Conference Invitation and Call for Papers

The Hawk Migration Association of North America (HMANA) is seeking program proposals for our 15th conference, “Soaring Toward the Future: New Challenges in Raptor Migration” to be held in Detroit, Michigan, on October 12-14, 2018. We are actively seeking proposals, especially on these topics of special interest, including:

· Raptor population trends
· Possible shifts in migration patterns: routes and timing
· Raptor telemetry and technological advances
· Conservation issues and threats facing raptors
· Education initiatives, including young hawkwatchers
· Challenges to sustaining and maintaining hawkwatch sites
· Weather patterns and migration in a changing climate
· Advances in raptor identification in the field
· Raptor photography

Key dates

The deadline to submit a proposal is May 11, 2018. You will be notified by June 11, 2018 if your proposal is chosen.

Submission Requirements

In no more than 150 words, please summarize and describe your presentation and indicate how it fits within the topics of special interested noted above. If your proposal covers topics other than these, please describe why you think it should be selected. If selected, this description will be included in the conference program. Please describe the technical or audio/visual needs for your presentation as well as its proposed length. We anticipate that most presentations will be brought to conference on flash drives that will be loaded onto a PC laptop.

Send your submission or direct any questions to <brown...> For all general inquiries, please contact: <jane...>

Conference Details

The conference will be conveniently located at the Detroit Airport Marriott.

Kate Davis, author and founder of the nonprofit Raptors of the Rockies, is our opening keynote speaker. She will talk about her 30 years as a raptor educator at schools throughout the west. Todd Katzner, research biologist, will be our Saturday evening keynote speaker. He will talk about his research with eastern Golden Eagles and how little was known about their migration ecology.

Field trips are planned to the Detroit River Hawkwatch, Holiday Beach Bird Observatory (Ontario), Marshlands Museum, Detroit River International Wildlife Refuge visitor’s center, and more!

Please visit www.hmana.org to learn more about our work, and we hope you will join us in Detroit in October!

Will Weber

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<2075D571-673C-4754-AD9A-0B4D567B5075...>