Date: 5/3/18 5:22 pm
From: David Nicosia <daven102468...>
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Radar musings
The radar reflectivity that we see is proportionally to the amount of water
in a given volume of atmosphere as sensed by the radar. Birds are largely
made up of water and hence they are highly reflective. Hence, when we see
high radar returns from birds it is due to the density of birds in that
given volume even if they are flying faster. Hence, the higher the
reflectivity the more birds there are in a volume. Larger birds will be
much more reflective than smaller birds because reflectivity is
proportional to the diameter of the target(bird) raised to the 6th power.

When we look at highly reflective precipitation on the radar and its very
windy it still correlates to heavy precipitation. There are know known wind
velocity corrections that are used nor have I ever heard about this in my
27 years of working radar.

In upstate NY we have seen an amazing transformation from almost birdless
two days ago to the woods filling up rapidly with new arrivals. Most of
these birds are breeders. I would say that "true" migrants have been fairly
scarce among the landbirds up here. For you folks downstate, I imagine the
birds keep going until they reach either decent habitat or their breeding
grounds farther north. You need bad weather for migrant "waves" as you
probably know, especially thunderstorms. I wait for thunderstorms to end
and position myself (when I can) near a lake or body of water or other
migrant trap. This has worked very well for me. I am sure many of you have
experienced this.... bad weather = good birds. Best of luck.

Dave Nicosia

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 7:39 PM Steve Walter <swalter15...> wrote:

> I think I might have run into some musings at the Forest Park water hole
> today, maybe even some hallucinations. But once again, numbers surely
> weren’t as high as the radar reflectivity might have suggested. I would say
> there were more birds than there had been, but nothing to write home about
> (for the younger folks, that’s what we did before we had NYSBIRDS to write
> to). I still wonder about the effect of leaf out being late. There seem to
> be a decent number of Black-and-White Warblers in – they of course don’t
> make their living in the foliage. I wore green today to try and make the
> surroundings more inviting to other species. It’s debatable how well that
> worked.
>

> It seems to me that the early night radar tends to look promising on many
> nights. But I also like to get a look at the radar as soon as I wake up,
> which may not be until dawn some days. To me, that has not looked so good,
> although Peter tells me that may be too late already. In any event, there
> is stuff on the radar now at 7:30 P.M. – rain. Also some strange stuff
> well offshore. But the rain will move out, and the flow remains southwest.
> It’s gotta happen one of these days.
>

> As for species, you know I don’t like to get into species lists. Everyone
> that gets out gets the same stuff. But if I need to mention some species, a
> Yellow-throated Vireo came down to the water hole. Offhand, I can’t
> remember one coming down – even when one is around singing. And for those
> who like to study the waterthrushes, a Northern and a Louisiana were
> crossing paths today. Even without binoculars, they were easily separable
> by the different colored eyebrow stripes (although it’s not always that
> easy).
>

> Steve Walter

ARCHIVES: