Date: 5/3/18 9:56 am
From: Brett Niland <bestguess...>
Subject: Re: Looking for global big day options...
Thanks John!

We're in Tulsa, so your options are great for us!

We tend to do overnights for Salt Plains/Red Slough/Hackberry. Puts us in a good position to be on the birds at the dawn chorus.

My wife teaches, so I'm looking forward to some summer trips to all three!

Regards,

Brett
________________________________
From: Torre Hovick <torre.hovick...><mailto:<torre.hovick...>>
Date: Thu, May 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Subject: Big Day
To: <OKBIRDS...><mailto:<OKBIRDS...>>

Birders,

Joseph Lautenbach, Jonathan Lautenbach, Kevin Vande Vusse, and I did a big day on Tuesday, May 7th. We started birding a little after 3am at the Tallgrass Prairie Preserve and ended the day around 10pm near Altus with a flat tire. We had set a lofty goal of 185 species but ran out of daylight while shooting for some SW specialties south of El Dorado. We ended the day with a respectable 180. Some of the highlights are listed below.

John Dahl WMA
-Virginia Rail
-Sora
-Ring-necked Pheasant

Tallgrass Preserve
-Eastern Whippoorwill
-Yellow-headed Blackbird
-11 sparrow spp.
-Wood Thrush
-Rose-breasted Grosbeak

56th Sod Farms/Oxley/Yahola
-Black-crowned Night Heron
-American Pipit
-3 eared Grebes
-Caspian Tern

Lake Hefner
-LeConte's Sparrow
-5 Common Loons
-2 Horned Grebes
-Herring, RB, Franklin's and Bonaparte's gulls
-9 waterfowl spp.
-2 Hudsonian Godwits

Wichita Mtns
-Cave Swallow

Tom Steed
-Bonaparte's Gull
-Ladder-backed Woodpecker

South of El Dorado
-Bullock's Oriole
-4 singing Cassin's Sparrows

Good Birding,
Torre Hovick
Stillwater, OK

--
***************
Torre J. Hovick

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 9:22 AM Brett Niland <bestguess...><mailto:<bestguess...>> wrote:
Hi all,

My wife and I graduated from casual to amateur birders about five years ago, and since then it's been all about the birds. All vacations are planned with destination secondary to great birding opportunities.

We've decided to ratchet it up and hope to break 100 species submitted for a single day this Saturday. Our thoughts are we'll need to hit several habitat types in one days to make this work.

A couple of initial thoughts are;

Atoka WMA/McGee Creek State park
Spavinaw Hills State Game Refuge/Lake Eucha Park/JT Nickel
Payne County tour Ghost Hollow/Dunkin Bridge/etc. (courtesy of Scott Loss)

We've hit the high 80's pretty regularly when "destination" birding. But I know it's going to be interesting once we get into the nineties.

We appreciate your input and wish us luck!

Brett

P.S. The worst day I've ever had birding was a wonderful day spent walking outdoors with my wife.

Join us on Facebook!