Date: 5/3/18 7:28 am
From: Janet Hinshaw <jhinshaw...>
Subject: Re: [birders] Best oriole feeder options
We like the flat disk kind with wells for jelly. The orioles will drink
sugar water, but usually only for a few weeks in the spring. Then they stop
coming, at least at our house. If you want them to come all summer, put out
grape jelly. We usually don't even put the sugar water in, just the jelly.
Previously we had trouble with the orioles sabotaging the hummingbird
feeders. They pull off the wasp guards so they can drink. Once we put out
the jelly, they stopped bothering the hummingbird feeders.

Janet Hinshaw ph: 734-764-0457
Bird Division Collection Manager fax: 734-998-0038
University of Michigan Museum of Zoology
Research Museums Center
3600 Varsity Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48108-2228 USA

http://lsa.umich.edu/ummz/birds/ <http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/birds/>