Date: 5/2/18 1:24 pm
From: David Weaver <cygnus-dkw...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island - 05-02-2018
This morning, Susan Yurkus and I led today's Wednesday Morning Birding
from Joppa Flats on to Plum Island to see hoped-for new migrants. Well,
guess we were a bit late - the bad news from MaryMargaret was that we
should have been there at 0600 when there were all kinds of birds, which
all picked up and headed north soon thereafter. Dealing with the
summer-like weather and the attendant beach-creature crowd did not help
much, either.

Our list:
Canada Goose
Mute Swan (4) - 2, Stage Island Pool; 2, The Warden's pond.
Gadwall (2) - main panne.
American Black Duck (~ 12) - various, primarily main panne.
Mallard (2)
Wild Turkey (1) - roadside, s. Hellcat.
Double-crested Cormorant (~ 30) - couple of migrating flocks.
Great Blue Heron (1) - marsh across road from lot #2.
Great Egret (~ 12)
Snowy Egret (~ 20)
Turkey Vulture (1)
Osprey (2) - Pines Trail platform.
Northern Harrier (1) - female, over North Pool marsh.
Sharp-shinned Hawk (3) - migrating.
Red-tailed Hawk (2)
Killdeer (2) - lot #1.
Greater Yellowlegs (5) - pannes.
Willet (~ 12) - various.
Herring Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove (2)
Belted Kingfisher (1) - marsh S-curves.
Downy Woodpecker (1) - S-curves.
American Kestrel (1) - hovering over South Field.
Merlin (1) - flying s. over Hellcat parking lot.
Blue Jay (1)
American Crow (~ 20)
Purple Martin (~ 12) - lot #1.
Tree Swallow (3)
Black-capped Chickadee (2) - S-curves.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (~ 8) - vicinity Hellcat parking lot.
Hermit Thrush (1) - Goodno Woods.
American Robin - a few scattered about.
European Starling
Black-and-white Warbler (2) - 1, Hellcat; 1, S-curves.
Common Yellowthroat (1) - n. Goodno Woods.
Eastern Towhee (~ 5) - various.
White-throated Sparrow (6) - 1, Hellcat; 5, S-curves.
Northern Cardinal (1)
Red-winged Blackbird - common.
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird (3)
Purple Finch (3) - vicinity of Hellcat.
American Goldfinch (1)

Please note that Wednesday Evening Birding will be conducted during the month of May starting this evening.
Meet at Joppa Flats Education Center at 5:30 for the 2-hour program.

We will meet again next week back at Joppa Flats at 0930 for Wednesday Morning Birding. For more
information about Joppa Flats programs, call David Moon or Dave Larson at 978-462-9998.

Dave Weaver
Manchester, MA 01944
<cygnus-dkw...>

Join us on Facebook!