Date: 5/1/18 8:25 pm
From: Matthew Igleski <matt.igleski...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Big Marsh Shorebirds (5-1-18)
I got to Big Marsh around 5:30 pm and many shorebirds remained including
the Wilson's Phalarope and the Am. Golden Plovers. Unfortunately, we
watched the golden plovers pickup and fly away. Fortunately, after we
walked around a bit and came back to the mudflat 28 dowitchers had shown
up! I'm fairly certain they were Long-billed, but light was fading fast and
they were announcing that the park was closing (around 7:25 pm) so we kind
of had to rush out of there.

Go to Big Marsh tomorrow to tick those Chicago shorebirds!

Matt

Cook County, Chicago, IL (Lake County, IN)

IBET Administrator
Illinois Ornithological Society Board Member
http://www.illinoisbirds.org/
https://www.facebook.com/IllinoisOrnithologicalSociety/

‚Äč

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Carl G <chicagio10...> [ILbirds] <
<ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

> Following up, there are now about a dozen golden plovers here.
>
> Other FOYs, Catbird, sora, swainson's thrush.
>
> Carl Giometti
> Chicago, il
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...> [ILbirds]
> <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:
>

> I received a message from Stephanie Beilke this morning (Tues, 5/1/18)
> indicating that the water control mechanism has been repaired at Big Marsh
> in SE Chicago, and a drawdown has been implemented there. In a nutshell,
> Big Marsh now has a huge mud flat which is full of shorebirds. I went
> straight to Big Marsh after receiving the message. I parked in the bike
> park lot, then followed the trail heading north until I found a vantage
> point from which I could scope the shorebirds. In no particular order, this
> is what I was able to count: 1 (f) WILSON'S PHALAROPE, 1 SEMIPALMATED
> PLOVER, 1 DUNLIN, 40 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, 4 GREATER YELLOWLEGS, 37 LESSER
> YELLOWLEGS, 26 LEAST SANDPIPERS, 1 WILSON'S SNIPE, 1 SPOTTED SANDPIPER, & 2
> KILLDEER. The entrance gate to Big Marsh is located at 116th & Stony Island
> Avenue in Chicago. Stony Island is in the process of being repaved, so be
> very careful as you drive on Stony.
>
> Walter Marcisz
> Chicago, Cook Co.

Posted by: Matthew Igleski <matt.igleski...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)