Date: 5/1/18 1:37 pm
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: Re: Another Broad-winged Hawk nest in Fayetteville
Last weekend during the spring state convention of the Arkansas Audubon Society in Bentonville, we had a kettle of five Broad-winged Hawks soaring over Chesney Prairie.  We were at the prairie enjoying Joe Woolbright's Saturday morning field trip and the hawks were a nice bonus.
Karen HollidayMaumelle/Little Rock

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 11:27 AM, Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...> wrote:

<!--#yiv3468963847 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}-->Broad-winged Hawks are building a nest this morning in a residential neighborhood on a hillside with mature hardwood trees in northeast Fayetteville. They have already completed one nest in the same area; this is a second nest. They were actively carrying sticks and copulating this morning. Today’s observations involve the third nesting of which I am aware in urban Fayetteville. The first was in 2013 and also involved an urban neighborhood with mature forest. My assumption is that if I am personally aware of these 3, there are probably many others in Fayetteville since there is quite a bit of this habitat here. Before 2013, if I wanted to see Broad-winged Hawks in the nesting season, I went to Ozark National Forest, Buffalo National River, etc. I am also assuming this is an example of the theory advanced by John M. Marzluff in his book, “Welcome to Subirdia, sharing our neighborhoods with wrens, robins, woodpeckers, and other wildlife.” And Broad-winged Hawks.

Join us on Facebook!