Date: 4/30/18 9:04 pm
From: Warbling Vireo <0000001d24760ffa-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Rachael Carson and "enviro-fascists"
My own (Christian) study of the Bible brings me to the conclusion that the God of my understanding expects environmental stewardship. One of the clearest, most succinct verses on that is Leviticus 25:23
"The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants."

Now back specifically to birds.

D. DeLynn Hearn
317 West K Ave.
N. Little Rock, AR 72116
(501)472-8769

> On Apr 30, 2018, at 9:32 AM, Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...> wrote:
>
> In my comments at Friday's evening's Arkansas Audubon Society meeting in Bentonville, I mentioned biologist Rachael Carson and her book, Silent Spring. She wrote passionately and factually about the impact of DDT and other chemicals on birds, people, and the environment. I have always thought the core of her books and beliefs involved alerting Americans to how our evolving culture was changing our world, and why we should be concerned about it. I thought the central point in Silent Spring was relevant 50 years ago, and remains relevant today, even if our understanding of some aspects of pesticides and herbicides have changed. I told people at the meeting our generation needs more Rachael Carsons. We need to keep looking at how we impact the environment -- both the good and the bad. It is all relevant.
>
> I read the review (link below), then went to the "comments" section, and was surprised that some people believe Silent Spring was actually the "Mein Kampf" of what some view as "enivor-fascists."
>
> People who think people, birds, and other life forms must equably share Earth as our only home -- and don't think Earth is exclusively for humans -- are "enviro-fascists"? Who would have thunk a good boy like me raised in Fort Smith, democracy, and an upright Southern Baptist home, and played high school football, would actually turn out to be an "enviro-fascist"? I watch birds and I vote. I'll leave the debate there.
>
> Here's the article (thanks to Barry Haas for the tip) and be sure and go to the "comments" section in order to see if you are also an "enviro-fascist":
>
> https://www.wsj.com/articles/silent-spring-other-writings-review-the-right-and-wrong-of-rachel-carson-1524777762
>
> ‘Silent Spring & Other Writings’ Review: The Right and ...
> www.wsj.com
> It is strange to read Rachel Carson’s “Silent Spring” today, more than 50 years after its publication, in a handsome new edition from the Library of America. At the time the book hit the shelves, it read as a relentless, densely factual indictment of the world’s growing use of industrial ...

Join us on Facebook!