Date: 4/30/18 3:04 pm
From: 'Derek and Jeannette Lovitch' via Maine birds <maine-birds...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Fw: Bradbury Mountain State Park (30 Apr 2018) 20 Raptors

Bradbury Mountain State Park
Pownal, Maine, USA

| Daily Raptor Counts: Apr 30, 2018 |
| Species | Day's Count | Month Total | Season Total |
| Black Vulture | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Turkey Vulture | 0 | 360 | 564 |
| Osprey | 8 | 275 | 275 |
| Bald Eagle | 0 | 20 | 75 |
| Northern Harrier | 2 | 75 | 78 |
| Sharp-shinned Hawk | 1 | 321 | 342 |
| Cooper's Hawk | 0 | 48 | 69 |
| Northern Goshawk | 0 | 3 | 6 |
| Red-shouldered Hawk | 0 | 30 | 76 |
| Broad-winged Hawk | 5 | 1228 | 1228 |
| Red-tailed Hawk | 0 | 81 | 184 |
| Rough-legged Hawk | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Golden Eagle | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| American Kestrel | 3 | 233 | 242 |
| Merlin | 1 | 33 | 36 |
| Peregrine Falcon | 0 | 2 | 2 |
| Unknown Accipiter | 0 | 6 | 7 |
| Unknown Buteo | 0 | 5 | 6 |
| Unknown Falcon | 0 | 1 | 1 |
| Unknown Eagle | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Unknown Raptor | 0 | 13 | 15 |
| Total: | 20 | 2734 | 3206 |

| Observation start time: | 08:00:00 |
| Observation end time: | 16:00:00 |
| Total observation time: | 8 hours |
| Official Counter | Derek Lovitch, Jeannette Lovitch |
| Observers: | |

Visitors:
8

Weather:
For the second day in a row, what sounded like a near-total washout wasanything but. Other than very light rain between 11:25-12:00pm, and a fewsprinkles later, precipitation developed off to our west. Unfortunately,the wind forecast was spot on, with SE winds becoming E by day's end butremaining light.

Raptor Observations:
It wasn't the best day for hawk counting, but it was a fantastic afternoonfor hawk watching. Local birds were exceptionally active in the pm, withlots of Broad-winged Hawk displays, courtship flights, and calls. BaldEagles were everywhere (up to three pairs in view on several occasions),including a pair perched for at least 30 minutes along the ridge line ofLittle Bradbury. A 4th-cycle eagle pursued a fish-toting Osprey for nearly 10 minutes. Whenit looked like the eagle had given up, the Osprey began to return towardsthe coast, only to have the same eagle reappear and resume it's pursuit.The Osprey had enough and the eagle's kleptoparasitism was successful. Local Red-tailed Hawks were active all day, and Jeannette had the localRed-shouldered Hawk in the morning.

Non-raptor Observations:
32 species were seen and/or heard from the summit, including a dueting,barking, and "monkey-calling" pair of Barred Owls.Other species deemed migrating were limited to:53 Double-crested Cormorants2 Common Loons1 Barn Swallow1 Tree Swallow

Predictions:
Tomorrow's word of the day is "improvement." Light northwest winds aresupposed to turn to the southwest by mid-morning according to one forecast,but taking until the early afternoon according to another. Regardless, theywill remain light and not from the east. Temperatures will return to themid to upper 50's as well. The day will be better than the last two, buthow much better will be dictated by the timing of the wind change.

Report submitted by Jeannette Lovitch (<freeportwildbird...>)
Bradbury Mountain State Park information may be found at: www.freeportwildbirdsupply.com/bradbury-mountain-hawkwatch
More information at hawkcount.org: [Site Profile] [Day Summary] [Month Summary]